PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I too am in the process of using the pipe to kick cigarettes. My biggest tobacco allies have been Five Bros, St. Bruno's, Haunted Bookshop, and Sutliff Field and Stream Match. And here's why!

Five Bros and St. Bruno's are bold powerhouse blends. Five Bros is pure nicotine in a shag cut. It tastes good, but it's still a fix. And St. Bruno's is a bold after dinner smoke. Full, rich, and hearty.

Haunted Bookshop is a great smoke break blend. Well behaved as I'm trying to work out a problem, bs with the guys, or just need to move. It's a pleasant way to keep up my nicotine levels throughout the day.

Field and Stream Match is just my comfort tobacco, my front porch blend. On my front porch, with the mutt laying by my side and all is right with the world or soon will be. A first cup or in the quiet of evening pipe.

YMMV

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Earlier I said I was giving Hearth and Home (pipesandcigars house brand) Berry Nice a try, and my thoughts were "Can't say I like the Berry Nice. Way too fruity!"

That changed two days ago. I dried some out. Grabbed one of my cobs and a cup of coffee, and had one of the best smokes ever. Never say never!

P&C has a "deal" where you get two different but similar "samples". I know I prefer aromatics so ordered their "Black Eye". Three ounces each of LL BCA and PC 201 Black Cavendish.

What better way to break in my new Stanwell Authentic 32, a nice bulldog.

I dried out some of the BCA last evening, and what a great smoke. Cool burning, and no tongue bite.

I just tried a bowl of the PC 201 Cavendish. Like the BCA, a few relights, but I was going slow and taking my time. This one was also a cool burning smoke, good flavor, but not quite as good as the BCA.

All three made a good enjoyable smoke, and I've found something I can reorder with no regrets.

Side note: when the order arrived, I took it in, and Penny, the lap dog in my avatar, got the scent and wouldn't stop following me. I sat the box on my bed for later, and she jumped up on the bed, sniffing the box like it had something delicious to eat inside. Stubborn old gal, I couldn't get her out of the room, and had to push her off the bed and out the door. I love my dogs! Such personality!

-storage-emulated-0-Android-data-com.sec.imsservice-files-received_files-20161204_161615_14812...jpg

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
I've been smoking pipe for a few years, but really haven't found anything I really like.

I just received an order of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake from Pipesandcigars to try out.

This is my first flake, and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be really dry. There's no give at all. I broke up a couple of flakes, and they came closer to snapping rather that the moist texture I'm used to in other tobaccos.

Is this normal?
Luxury Navy Flake is one of my favorite summer time blends.
Fill your pipe a bit looser than you would think to do.
I start my fill with rubbed out pieces, then add some slightly broken up flakes, then add some more broken pieces on top.
Slow, almost smoldering pace helps prevent any tongue bite.
Enjoy!

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Luxury Navy Flake is one of my favorite summer time blends.
Fill your pipe a bit looser than you would think to do.
I start my fill with rubbed out pieces, then add some slightly broken up flakes, then add some more broken pieces on top.
Slow, almost smoldering pace helps prevent any tongue bite.
Enjoy!
I know they say newbies should avoid aromatics until they "learn how to smoke a pipe", but I have yet to find anything other than aromatics that really hit the spot.

I did order some LNF a couple weeks ago, and it's one of the non aros that I really want to like, and I think it just a matter of time before I get the dryness and rubbing out/packing right. I'm not giving up on it quite yet :)

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
I know they say newbies should avoid aromatics until they "learn how to smoke a pipe", but I have yet to find anything other than aromatics that really hit the spot.

I did order some LNF a couple weeks ago, and it's one of the non aros that I really want to like, and I think it just a matter of time before I get the dryness and rubbing out/packing right. I'm not giving up on it quite yet :)
In my 20+ years of pipe experience I've learned that looser filled, tends to smoke better, unless you're smoking really dried out baccy.. (of course, each to his or her own..ymmv)

My first experience with pipe smoking was with Mac Barens Scottish Mixture.
Packed tightly and smoked with over exuberance. Youch!! Lol

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
In my 20+ years of pipe experience I've learned that looser filled, tends to smoke better, unless you're smoking really dried out baccy.. (of course, each to his or her own..ymmv)

My first experience with pipe smoking was with Mac Barens Scottish Mixture.
Packed tightly and smoked with over exuberance. Youch!! Lol
I'm finding out what should be obvious, but isn't, to the newbie. Each blend has it's own sweet spot when it comes to moisture and packing density.

The PC Cavendish I tried this morning was a little bit more moist than the BCA I tried last night. Even going slow and taking my time, there was just a hint of tongue bite, and one or two gurgles. I'm breaking in a new pipe, so I'm only filling about half, but with the PC, I had blockage about half way through and had to run a pipe cleaner through the shank and ream out the blockage.

Theres definately a learning curve, and keeping in mind the uniqueness of each blend just compounds the risk of error.

When I tried pipes in the past, I didnt do as much research, and couldn't get past the tongue bite. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy my pipes back then, and gave up.

This time around I've been trying more variety in tobaccos, and learning about drying, storing, and going slow and easy. No more tongue bite, hot bowls, etc.

I'm learning how to enjoy a pipe, and not "hot box" the damn thing like a steam engine pulling a 5% grade, lol ?.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
since you're a dart smoker, try some burley blends, Haunted Bookshop kinda tastes like cigarettes, at least to me anyway.
As fellow members here have helped me along the way, especially when it came to flakes, they need some serious dry time.
Dont give up, I did and I regret it. Now I'm making up for lost time. Most of the fun is trying new blends, you will find something eventually, the journey is more important than the destination.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
since you're a dart smoker, try some burley blends, Haunted Bookshop kinda tastes like cigarettes, at least to me anyway.
As fellow members here have helped me along the way, especially when it came to flakes, they need some serious dry time.
Dont give up, I did and I regret it. Now I'm making up for lost time. Most of the fun is trying new blends, you will find something eventually, the journey is more important than the destination.
Thanks! The Haunted Bookshop has already been recommended, but I'm not liking for something that tastes like butts, I have those in spades.

I've found a couple of aromatics that I'm partial to, and the PS 38 Highland Whiskey.

I think my next venture will be something rum or bourbon
based.

At least for now, there's so much to choose from, and I think I need to settle in with the aros, english and flakes I have so far and give them all a fair shake.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just looked this up on a couple of sites. Sounds interesting, but also sounds like it may be stronger than I would like. Being so new to this, it's also out of my price range for now. If I could get it by the ounce, I might give it a try, but almost $30 for a 3.5 oz tin is too much right now, just to experiment with.
it's a lot more then it sounds like. Don't think of it in weight but as a brick of compressed very dry perfect tobacco. It lasts a long time especially if you smoke smaller bowls of it. Ironically I feel like it's a better deal then many that cost less for the same weight. Seriously water is heavy.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Thanks! The Haunted Bookshop has already been recommended, but I'm not liking for something that tastes like butts, I have those in spades.

I've found a couple of aromatics that I'm partial to, and the PS 38 Highland Whiskey.

I think my next venture will be something rum or bourbon
based.

At least for now, there's so much to choose from, and I think I need to settle in with the aros, english and flakes I have so far and give them all a fair shake.
Ahh! alright then, well considering you are mentioning maybe something more along the lines of an alcohol based aromatic.
Rum is pretty common topping,
Sutliff's D64 Queen Anne's Revenge
Sutliff's Spiced Rum
C&D Black Frigate. This one is heavy with rum.
Tried all 3, and they are pretty solid.
I'm not sure about Bourbon, but Peterson's Irish Dew has Irish Whiskey in it. It's a decent blend.
And CAO Eileen's Dream has a bit of an Irish Cream taste if you're into that.
Have fun bud,

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Ahh! alright then, well considering you are mentioning maybe something more along the lines of an alcohol based aromatic.
Rum is pretty common topping,
Sutliff's D64 Queen Anne's Revenge
Sutliff's Spiced Rum
C&D Black Frigate. This one is heavy with rum.
Tried all 3, and they are pretty solid.
I'm not sure about Bourbon, but Peterson's Irish Dew has Irish Whiskey in it. It's a decent blend.
And CAO Eileen's Dream has a bit of an Irish Cream taste if you're into that.
Have fun bud,
My preferred spirit is scotch, so it's no wonder I like the PS Highland Whiskey. My next preference is Irish whiskey (and cream), then bourbon, so the two irish you mention might suit the bill. Though I'm not big on rum, its everywhere, so that's only a matter of reading reviews and choosing ?.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've had only 2 blends which I absolutely hated - a rum-topped blend and a chocolate blend. I LOVE rum, and am somewhat a chocoholic, but I couldn't bring myself to smoke those 2 again.
Gifted them to a friend, who absolutely loves them.
Wish I could have bought samples to try, rather than full tins.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I've had only 2 blends which I absolutely hated - a rum-topped blend and a chocolate blend. I LOVE rum, and am somewhat a chocoholic, but I couldn't bring myself to smoke those 2 again.
Gifted them to a friend, who absolutely loves them.
Wish I could have bought samples to try, rather than full tins.
That's one reason most of what I'm buying is bulk. If I don't like it, tossing an ounce doesn't seem like such a loss. So far I've been lucky, and nothing I've sampled yet has been a total loss. The only one I really didn't like turned out to be ok, after letting it dry out and giving it another try. I don't think I will buy any more, because it reminded me of a really fruity vape, but on the whole, it's not that bad. Live and learn...?

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Well, the search goes on, but tonight I had a bowl of the first non aro that really satisfied.

Up to this point, I've basically been sampling english, and a few VaPer blends. I decided to spread my wings and give the virginias a try. I ordered 2oz each of Mac Baren Virginia No 1, Sutliff Virginia Slices, Sutliff Ready Rub Match, and Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices. I haven't tried any of the Sutliff blends yet, but this evening I had a bowl of the Newminster 403, though not strictly a Virginia, but a VaBur, and WOW?.

When I opened the bag, it was smoke and earth. Reminded me of the smokiness of an oak fire, grilling a Tri-Tip or porterhouse, and working the soil, planting around the yard. Just a fantastic aroma blend. I really want to stuff a disc in my CPAP mask, but that taking it a little far!

I chose my Country Gentleman cob, and settled down to one of the most enjoyable smokes I've ever had. In line with reviews, it burned on the hotter side of warm, but letting it sit for a minute or two, it wasn't bad at all. The same aromas I could smell, came through in the taste as well. This was a first for me with a non aro. It was shere pleasure. I couldn't resist and had a glass of Johnny Walker Double Black to boot, and I'm not a big drinker. This will definitely go on my reorder list!

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I've been smoking pipe for a few years, but really haven't found anything I really like.

I just received an order of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake from Pipesandcigars to try out.

This is my first flake, and I'm wondering if it's supposed to be really dry. There's no give at all. I broke up a couple of flakes, and they came closer to snapping rather that the moist texture I'm used to in other tobaccos.

Is this normal?
If it’s that dry you can cup it in your hands and breathe out of your mouth through your hands and the moisture in your breath will soften it up enough not to crumble. That’s right where I like to smoke it but I prefer to catch it on the way to dry than let it over dry.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Probably the best compliment you can give an Aromatic.

I just wish these guys would sell their blends more places.
The funny thing is, a few days, maybe a week later, I tried a second bowl, and found myself liking it more than I had on my first impression. It really did remind me of smoking a very berry cobbler though. A little goes a long way. I bought a small nose warmer cob, and will have to give it another go soon.