Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Reactions: yanoJL

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Thanks Augiebod. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I have received pretty helpful advice and feel a bit more on top of things. On a side note, I think I had a bug. Not COVID! But I feel better and resumed my pipe. I am taking it slow and enjoying my recent smoke. Nicotine is something to get use to. Having never smoked in 60 years, I am a bit late to the game. But I am glad to move slow (and reminded to keep moving slow by good people on this blog). I'm trying to figure out the eating before and, I believe, after. Some mention chocolate. I drink plenty of water as well. I'll keep you all posted on the art of the pipe. Thank you new friend.
A bug makes sense. Glad to hear you are feeling better. The water is a good idea. I usually have coffee or water on hand.

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Thanks Augiebd. Had a successful smoke today. First time since the bug. I'm so glad you said coffee. I love that afternoon taste of coffee after a smoke. Wasn't sure it was a good thing. I haven't had an issue with that but I've been drinking coffee a long time. Cafe con lethe (coffee with milk). Thanks for checking up on me. Stay well.

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Thank you Yanojl. I am familiar with this list but you helped me to correct something. I thought Perique was an oriental and low in nicotine. I can't believe it is higher than Burley. Thanks.
Thank you Yanojl. I am familiar with this list but you helped me to correct something. I thought Perique was an oriental and low in nicotine. I can't believe it is higher than Burley. Thanks.
Very good article. Thx a million. Appreciate your support.

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
I am a new pipe smoker and had the same sensation as you. I was smoking in my car for about an hour. I felt totally fine. Until I got home and jumped out of my car. I suddenly felt dizzy and nauseous. It freaked me out for a minute. But I remember reading about eating chocolate, so I ate a few squares of some good Belgian chocolate and the feeling subsided after about 5 minutes.

Reactions: Browny

thepipesman

Lurker
Apr 13, 2023
Keep some coca cola or soda of your choice on hand in the fridge for those occasions, it will work very fast to make you feel better. Then try to put a little food in your stomach to settle things out, something with bread or sugar as previously mentioned. The sugar is what really helps you recover from the nicotine spins. You over did it but you will learn your limits with experience. There's no shame in it, even experienced smokers smoke to excess and get the spins. It's no different than having too much alcohol and getting dizzy, not a fun feeling at all. It's not always just about the nicotine content of the tobacco, there are other factors at play. If you were smoking on an empty stomach or hadn't eaten much it's easy for the nicotine to overwhelm you. The same way you feel more buzz from a beer on an empty stomach vs a full meal. You just need to remember that with smoking pipe, or cigar for that matter, there is a fairly long delay from when you smoke it to when you feel it. This is due to the uptake mechanism through the mucous membrane which takes a bit of time to transfer the nicotine over through your bloodstream to where you can feel its effect. If you were to inhale the pipe through your lungs like a cigarette, you would feel the buzz immediately, because the lung pathway is nearly instant. The delay in uptake can make it hard to gauge when you have had enough. As you get experience you will recognize the effects of nicotine sooner and set the pipe down in time. Nicotine can be subtle at first in small doses through a pipe but it can build up as you found out. For me, I notice increased focus, mental speed, a boost of extra energy, not unlike the feeling after a cup of coffee. Listen to your body, and if you start to get that slightly jittery feeling like you've had too much coffee, set the pipe down and take a break. If the feeling continues or gets worse, look for a bit of soda or sugar to settle your stomach.

Reactions: Bikes&Briar

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Keep some coca cola or soda of your choice on hand in the fridge for those occasions, it will work very fast to make you feel better. Then try to put a little food in your stomach to settle things out, something with bread or sugar as previously mentioned. The sugar is what really helps you recover from the nicotine spins. You over did it but you will learn your limits with experience. There's no shame in it, even experienced smokers smoke to excess and get the spins. It's no different than having too much alcohol and getting dizzy, not a fun feeling at all. It's not always just about the nicotine content of the tobacco, there are other factors at play. If you were smoking on an empty stomach or hadn't eaten much it's easy for the nicotine to overwhelm you. The same way you feel more buzz from a beer on an empty stomach vs a full meal. You just need to remember that with smoking pipe, or cigar for that matter, there is a fairly long delay from when you smoke it to when you feel it. This is due to the uptake mechanism through the mucous membrane which takes a bit of time to transfer the nicotine over through your bloodstream to where you can feel its effect. If you were to inhale the pipe through your lungs like a cigarette, you would feel the buzz immediately, because the lung pathway is nearly instant. The delay in uptake can make it hard to gauge when you have had enough. As you get experience you will recognize the effects of nicotine sooner and set the pipe down in time. Nicotine can be subtle at first in small doses through a pipe but it can build up as you found out. For me, I notice increased focus, mental speed, a boost of extra energy, not unlike the feeling after a cup of coffee. Listen to your body, and if you start to get that slightly jittery feeling like you've had too much coffee, set the pipe down and take a break. If the feeling continues or gets worse, look for a bit of soda or sugar to settle your stomach.
Thank you my new friend. I appreciate your response. And learned a lot. I especially noticed when you mentioned how the nicotine delays and to watch for those subtle signs. Excellent! I have heard a lot about eating. Thanks again for your help.

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
I am a new pipe smoker and had the same sensation as you. I was smoking in my car for about an hour. I felt totally fine. Until I got home and jumped out of my car. I suddenly felt dizzy and nauseous. It freaked me out for a minute. But I remember reading about eating chocolate, so I ate a few squares of some good Belgian chocolate and the feeling subsided after about 5 minutes.
Hello new friend. Thank you for sharing. Fortunately we have great people who care and share some wise words. I have learned a lot and I don't consider my experience a sign of mistakes but one that helps me cultivate the art of piping. I really thank you for responding. It was affirming.

thepipesman

Lurker
Apr 13, 2023
Thank you my new friend. I appreciate your response. And learned a lot. I especially noticed when you mentioned how the nicotine delays and to watch for those subtle signs. Excellent! I have heard a lot about eating. Thanks again for your help.
No problem, happy to help. We were all beginners once and like I said even the experienced smokers overdo it from time to time. I am no expert by any means, I am just returning to the hobby after a few years of being away from it. Just sharing what I have learned from my own experiences. I'd like to add another thing, which may be my own perception and I'm not sure if it's rooted in science or not. If you notice when smoking, you tend to salivate a lot. This is because nicotine stimulates salivary production. Well from my own perception, I feel like sometimes if I am swallowing my own saliva if it really starts to accumulate, I will sometimes perceive over time a stronger nicotine buzz and get a slightly upset sour stomach especially if I haven't eaten anything. If you ever spit when smoking, you will notice a yellow brown color in your spit. My theory is that some of the smoke with nicotine is getting trapped by the water of your saliva. And when you swallow that, it is adding to your nicotine intake. The trouble with this is that the nicotine uptake from eating has a long delay. I like to just smoke it rather than swallow it because it's easier for me to gauge when I've had enough. I don't know if you've ever had experience with chewing tobacco, but if you aren't spitting all that tobacco juice you will get real buzzed. So my personal preference is to spit if I have to, when it's socially permissible. You might not always be in a situation where that's acceptable, especially with company or in public settings. So in those situations I just dial back on my smoking a bit, since I've noticed when you really get the pipe going with hot and thick smoke it really kicks your salivary glands in gear. Again, I don't know if this is a real thing which can be measured by science or just my hair-brained imperception of the world but I believe it based on my personal experiences so that's another tool I use to moderate my tobacco dosage so I don't wind up feeling sick and dizzy. Hopefully that doesn't sound too crazy! Good luck.

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
No problem, happy to help. We were all beginners once and like I said even the experienced smokers overdo it from time to time. I am no expert by any means, I am just returning to the hobby after a few years of being away from it. Just sharing what I have learned from my own experiences. I'd like to add another thing, which may be my own perception and I'm not sure if it's rooted in science or not. If you notice when smoking, you tend to salivate a lot. This is because nicotine stimulates salivary production. Well from my own perception, I feel like sometimes if I am swallowing my own saliva if it really starts to accumulate, I will sometimes perceive over time a stronger nicotine buzz and get a slightly upset sour stomach especially if I haven't eaten anything. If you ever spit when smoking, you will notice a yellow brown color in your spit. My theory is that some of the smoke with nicotine is getting trapped by the water of your saliva. And when you swallow that, it is adding to your nicotine intake. The trouble with this is that the nicotine uptake from eating has a long delay. I like to just smoke it rather than swallow it because it's easier for me to gauge when I've had enough. I don't know if you've ever had experience with chewing tobacco, but if you aren't spitting all that tobacco juice you will get real buzzed. So my personal preference is to spit if I have to, when it's socially permissible. You might not always be in a situation where that's acceptable, especially with company or in public settings. So in those situations I just dial back on my smoking a bit, since I've noticed when you really get the pipe going with hot and thick smoke it really kicks your salivary glands in gear. Again, I don't know if this is a real thing which can be measured by science or just my hair-brained imperception of the world but I believe it based on my personal experiences so that's another tool I use to moderate my tobacco dosage so I don't wind up feeling sick and dizzy. Hopefully that doesn't sound too crazy! Good luck.
That is a very plausible theory. I don't think one can dispute the traveling of nicotine via saliva. And that could explain the nausea. I don't think I am a "wet" smoker but occasionally I do notice extra saliva. I don't know if you gathered from me that I never smoked, so nicotine is new to this body. Plus, I do consider myself a moderate smoker, maybe one or two bowls a week. I am also very into the science of slow smoking. Call it Zen, if you will. But one can learn so much about oneself when moving slowly into and through the art. Appreciate your response. Thanks again.