PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I know, "parabolic". I prefer them for many blends but I don't know how to search for briar pipes that have them. They seem hard to find; i only have a couple. Is there an official trade designation or buzzword that I could filter searches with?

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
In my view parablic chamber bits are best, because they gently taper toward the bottom. If you like to smoke to the bottom, I think your chances of doing so are greatly enhanced with a parablic bit. The only way to know for sure that you're getting a pipe made with a parabolic chamber bit is to ask before you buy. Some sellers will know, many will not. Many factory made pipes have a chamber drilled with a U shaped chamber drill. Some are more U shaped than others and they often vary based on the shape. An artisan pipe maker will surely tell you what kind of chamber bit he/she uses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many conical shaped bowls have cylindrical chambers, so you almost have to buy them in person and study them carefully if they are only slightly conical, to see what you have there. You'd think Dublins and yachts would be conical, but take a look, stick your finger in the chamber, study it.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
They giggle when I do that. But you are partly right regarding the Invicta above: the bottom half inch is a half inch diameter cylinder. More of a Y than a V. Huh.

Mar 1, 2014
Look for retailers who show inside the pipe, you can usually see if a pipe has a conical chamber as long as the photographs are decent.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
The only pipe I think of a v shaped bowl is my Preben Holm freehand from 70s...I never really noticed differences ,but may explore in this field a little more to see some new results....Logicaly it should smoke better ...I can tell you this-I've got another pipe 2003 year POY from Vauen..It does have a slight conical bowl but not exactly a V bowl ..but it is drilled more from the bottom instead of the side...It smokes all the way to white ash every time...amazing smoker...I believe most gourd calabashes are V bowl