PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottie B

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
What a strange hobby! I’ve only been puffing a few weeks. The first attempts were pretty bad but I’m now getting better and packing a bowl and keeping it lit. A tamper helps 😂. Seems to be a questionable health choice and a clearly socially unacceptable anachronism. But hey, it’s now growing on me and I actually look forward to sitting on my deck, listening to some slow blues and smoking a bowl (summer time here).

I still don’t think I’ve had any truly good tobacco. I currently live in Chile and there’s not a great deal of alternatives here. Captain Black Cherry, Amphora Original and MacBaren Vanilla Choice. Definitely didn’t like the CB cut. Stringy like cigarette tobacco. I believe it’s shag. The Amphora and MacBaren are much thicker cut and appeal to me more. The taste of the MacBaren is quite light and easy to smoke. The reviews online are bad to not good but I like it.

I ordered a Tobacco Barn aromatic sampler from a local online vendor. Looking forward to it arriving later this week. I also ordered a Savinelli 701 from the same vendor. Can’t wait for the package to arrive.

I have to say that I wouldn’t have stuck with it without the help from this forum. Thanks guys (and hopefully gals, even though it’s hard to tell gender from posts).

Regards from Santiago

Last edited by a moderator:

Silvrbdgr

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2023
Navarre, FL
Going on about two weeks for me and feel that I too am getting the hang of it. Currently only smoking Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic blend, because that's what my grandfather smoked. It's a nice trip down memory lane when I light up.

I do agree, a tamper helps. If I've learned anything by lurking these pages it's to definitely slow down, use less tobacco and pack with a lighter touch. When I started applying those principles, my experience improved. I still have to relight, but who cares. I figure it's part of the experience anyway.

I forgot to add that I occasionally use a pipe cleaner mid-smoke. Really improves the over all bowl.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What a strange hobby! I’ve only been puffing a few weeks. The first attempts were pretty bad but I’m now getting better and packing a bowl and keeping it lit. A tamper helps 😂. Seems to be a questionable health choice and a clearly socially unacceptable anachronism. But hey, it’s now growing on me and I actually look forward to sitting on my deck, listening to some slow blues and smoking a bowl (summer time here).

I still don’t think I’ve had any truly good tobacco. I currently live in Chile and there’s not a great deal of alternatives here. Captain Black Cherry, Amphora Original and MacBaren Vanilla Choice. Definitely didn’t like the CB cut. Stringy like cigarette tobacco. I believe it’s shag. The Amphora and MacBaren are much thicker cut and appeal to me more. The taste of the MacBaren is quite light and easy to smoke. The reviews online are bad to not good but I like it.

I ordered a Tobacco Barn aromatic sampler from a local online vendor. Looking forward to it arriving later this week. I also ordered a Savinelli 701 from the same vendor. Can’t wait for the package to arrive.

I have to say that I wouldn’t have stuck with it without the help from this forum. Thanks guys (and hopefully gals, even though it’s hard to tell gender from posts).

Regards from Santiago
Sounds like you are well on your way! I'm a huge fan of Amphora, and Savinelli, so I'd say you're doing well! Make sure you dry the tobacco real dry and break it up really well before packing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Regards from Santiago
it ain't t0at bad for you by the way.and more people think it is neat then bad. But you also still have more stages of getting it. Just how it works. Oh and no matter what reviews say there is always someone who likes or can't 0stand a blend mixture 79 is put down in reviews but i love it. Sail yellow is a joy to me and capstan bores me. Enjoy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There is always a learning curve.
But it sounds like you're getting the hang of it.
Keep it up :sher:

The taste of the MacBaren is quite light and easy to smoke. The reviews online are bad to not good but I like it.

I ordered a Tobacco Barn aromatic sampler from a local online vendor.
Tastes are subjective.

When I got back to pipe smoking a few years back, I relied on Tobacco Reviews for guidance. I ended up with a couple of highly rated blends I absolutely hated.
I've also tried a few blends with mediocre reviews that I really like.

Best to form your own opinion.
Or find one or two reviewers whose taste accord with yours

Getting samplers are the way to go.
Don't be afraid to try samplers of different genres.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
A tip: With all those samplers you're buying you're bound to get some blends you don't care for. Never, never throw out a bland just because you don't like it. Save those bends until you have several and you can have some fun blending them in different ways. In pipe tobacco sometimes.... bad + bad = good. puffy

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Going on about two weeks for me and feel that I too am getting the hang of it. Currently only smoking Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic blend, because that's what my grandfather smoked. It's a nice trip down memory lane when I light up.
keeping up traditions from generation to generation is a good practice I applaud you for looking to the future through the present may you have many relaxing smokes and pass it on...

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
"Variety is the spice of life." I smoke mainly English, buy for a change of pace I'll smoke some SWR. A while back I was placing a tobacco order and noticed there was a sale on Smoker's Pride.... really cheap. So, what the hell, I ordered a 12 oz. bag of Vanilla Cavindish. It arrived and I tried it. Smokable, but no big deal. So, I've smoked about 1 or 2 bowls a week for a while. Then about a week ago I lit some up and wow! I loved it. Now the bag is almost empty. There it something to be learned from this. I'm not sure what it is. but something.... puffy

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Congrats on finally getting it!
Keep it simple and enjoy, knowing that you'll eventually try everything given enough time.

If you're still trying to find "really good" tobacco but just starting out, be patient. I'll recommend taking @mso489 's advice. I've seen it written different ways in different posts but bookmarked it here.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin

I do agree, a tamper helps. If I've learned anything by lurking these pages it's to definitely slow down, use less tobacco and pack with a lighter touch. When I started applying those principles, my experience improved. I still have to relight, but who cares. I figure it's part of the experience anyway.

I forgot to add that I occasionally use a pipe cleaner mid-smoke. Really improves the over all bowl.
You sound like an old Codger. Congrats!

Reactions: fMf Piper