PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You are not smoking that meer hard at only a few times a day. There was a time English officers used subordinates to keep a meer constantly in use 24/7. They wanted the meers to color quickly and look older than they were. The beauty of a meerschaum is that you can't over smoke them. I think meers are quite ugly until they gain some coloring and, the fun is in not knowing how it will color. I'm a fan of letting the pipes color naturally, many can't wait and use waxes or, other artificial means for "top" coloring until the tobacco residues do their thing. Whatever turns one's crank I suppose.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys.
unadoptedlamp, thanks for that post, it was most informative. I am not really concerned with the color the pipe gets, it will do what it will without any help from me as I don't intend to buy any wax. I just want to smoke it and forget it. I get enough of a work out keeping my briars clean and I bought this Meer to slow down my briar use.
Cortez, what is with the need to see a nice white pipe turn brown and ugly? :nana:
edit. Warren didn't see your post till after I posted. That is pretty cool they can be smoked that much.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I got my meer in yesterday and immediately filled it with 2007 Stonehaven. I know this vintage quite well so I was excited to see how it tasted in my new meer. I packed the bowl like I would pack my briar and it was a little too tight. I had to mess with it during the smoke but figured it out. The tobacco tasted different. I have a pipe dedicated to the Stonehaven and in the meer it tasted a bit thin if that makes any sense. It was good, but not the same as my briar.
Next up I put in some Capstan Blue Flake so see what that will do. I packed it a little lighter and it burned fine and it tasted fine, but still a little weird. Today I loaded it up with a newer flake in my rotation Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. I let it dry a good 2 hours and loaded it carefully making sure it was not too tight. That bowl tasted awesome, the whole way down sweet and tasty. I have a feeling the more I smoke it the more I will get used to it. I have a bowl of 2012 Old Dark Fired ready to go in a couple of minutes and I am looking forward to seeing how it does. The stem is ok for an acrylic stem, not as hard as some I have smoked. All in all I am happy I bought it.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I think you bought very well with that apple. It's beautiful and simple, it should smoke well and color well.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Excellent purchase there, cigrmaster.

I love that IMP ! I agree the 4mm draft hole and military mount stem are a definite plus to this pipe.

Now the hard part saving up the cash to acquire one. :(

Jun 27, 2016
cigrmaster
I am enjoying the Meer but after so many bowls, I have realized it will not replace my briars. Certain blends do nicely in it, but others the flavors seem thin. For example, my 2007 Stonehaven smokes better in the 2 pipes I have dedicated to it. The flavors from the Meer are not as rich or as full if that makes any sense.
If you smoke Latakia blends and are planning on smoking blends with Lat in the pipe, I encourage you to try some straight Latakia in the new meer. I occasionally smoke straight Lat, and the new meer dampened the flavors just enough to make it even more of a tasty experience. If you don't like Lat or are not going to use the pipe for it, then pardon me! =)

Jun 27, 2016
Or, if you like Perique blends, maybe try loading up something with extra Perique until it becomes too much, and then backing it down from there. Base that thing with straight Perique, maybe. :puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
balkisobrains, thanks for the suggestions. I don't smoke anything with latakia and don't have any Perique to add to anything. I am pretty basic in that I buy what blends I like and never mess with them. I do enjoy Butera Dark Stoved in the Meer as it is a new blend for me and I have no pipes dedicated to it. I also smoked a bowl of Dragon flake in it and that did very well. I am sure I will find other blends as I keep experimenting with it.
peck, don't be hating just because I am a chick magnet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Meer, to avoid a whole new world of PAD, but I especially like the traditional shapes in a smooth finish, like the apple in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.