PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I’m drying mine out crisp and not getting any licorice. However I did when I folded and stuffed a flake.
Thanks, that's good to read, as it was frustrating to hear from some members that ABF doesn't have any liquorice (or cocoa), while others have posted a link to a list of additives to it which clearly listed it. In any case, I'm sitting this one out as I have a lot of other tobaccos I am much more looking forward to try, and have a weird rule of not having more than 3 tins open at a time.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
and have a weird rule of not having more than 3 tins open at a time.
That’s not a weird rule bro. It’s actually closer to the reality for a lot of us who don’t have easy access to a continuous supply of tobacco blends. I’ve had to do a massive shift in thinking (with a few exceptions of course), so that now instead of trying to make blends last for as long as possible and smoke them sporadically, I’ve come to accept that the most enjoyment I am going to get from a cellared tin is waiting until the right time to pop it and then smoking through it all in a relatively short time (could be days, weeks or months depending on the blend). It takes me a decent handful of successive smokes to get the nuances, and I figure I would miss these in an unfamiliar blend if I only had it a few times a year.

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
That’s not a weird rule bro. It’s actually closer to the reality for a lot of us who don’t have easy access to a continuous supply of tobacco blends. I’ve had to do a massive shift in thinking (with a few exceptions of course), so that now instead of trying to make blends last for as long as possible and smoke them sporadically, I’ve come to accept that the most enjoyment I am going to get from a cellared tin is waiting until the right time to pop it and then smoking through it all in a relatively short time (could be days, weeks or months depending on the blend). It takes me a decent handful of successive smokes to get the nuances, and I figure I would miss these in an unfamiliar blend if I only had it a few times a year.

That's probably right. The US-style canning jars are not sold over here (Greece), but we do get flip top jars with rubber gaskets. I have quite of few of those now but only for blends I have more than 200g of, feel like buying the tiny ones to store the contents of a single tin a bit tedious. I do dip into my jars of course, but still try to not disturb them all the time.

Case in point in what you're saying about waiting for the right time to pop and then smoking somewhat fast was a 2003 tin of Samuel Gawith Balkan flake I bought. The first couple of flakes were easily among the best things I ever smoked in my whole life, then I decided to jar the rest (wasn't much as it was a 50g tin) to save for special occasion. Big mistake, something happened and they lost most of their taste. I've read here numerous times that old tobacco needs to be smoked ASAP or else it may go flat.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.