PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
As a burley smoker it was inevitable that I would eventually get around to trying some Solani burley.

The tin had 3 years age on it, does make it double aged?

I was blown away by the creaminess of the smoke. It would have to be one of the most unctuous blends I have encountered.

The stand out flavour was the Kentucky leaf - so stand out in fact that despite making a concerted effort to not read any reviews/descriptions of the blend, I instantly recognised this familiar friend. I’m actually coming to the conclusion that my favourite burley profile is air cured (instead of dark fired) Kentucky. I know what I’ll be growing next year...

This blend passed all the kiwi codger tests:

1) fancy enough to stop and say aloud to myself “good shit”

2) smooth enough to clench while digging a trench through the gravel driveway

3) burley enough that even after dropping my pipe in the dirt, its profile complimented the extra earthiness I got in the relight.

I’m looking forward to trying this a few more times to help pick out the nuances. If anything, I would love a bit more of that sweet cold drip coffee flavour, but that may come with subsequent smokes.

If you like burley, try it.
If you find you don’t normally like burley, try it.

I’m not sure if I could justify the tin price to use this as a regular smoke, but then again, even codgers have a pair of their Sunday best.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I've had it but found it didn't change much with several years of aging. Then I found HH Burley Flake and Watch City Slices more to my liking.

I've only ever owned one pair of boots at a time.?
We don’t wear shoes here. But then again we have small hairy feet, so I s’pose that helps.

I’ve always wanted to try the watch city slices. I have some of the HH burley flake, but it’s not too my liking. I think the condimental dark fired doesn’t agree with me. I’m looking forward to opening the Wessex burley I have sometime.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I enjoyed some of the nutty cocoa flavor in this blend but that earthy straight burley just doesn't do it for me. I also didn't enjoy the dry tannin mouth feel.
I think I'll only like burley as a condiment. I blame shaking the dirt off burley scraps from the barn floor and then smoking or chewing them as a kid. I guess I'm glad they didn't grow Virginia in the backer patch where I grew up. (or maybe I would've had a better time ?)

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@solideogloria86 have you tried sutliff’s revelation? For me it is a great example of using a Kentucky base (love how it plays with the cavendish to get a kettle corn vibe) and then layering it with other leaf and flavours so the burley holds it all together rather than being forward, or just condimental - burley turned into perique does this much better in my opinion anyways.

heaps of blends could be recommended, but that’s the first that came to mind, probably due to ol Charlie boy posing as he works his way through a cigar and some systematic theology

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
@solideogloria86 have you tried sutliff’s revelation? For me it is a great example of using a Kentucky base (love how it plays with the cavendish to get a kettle corn vibe) and then layering it with other leaf and flavours so the burley holds it all together rather than being forward, or just condimental - burley turned into perique does this much better in my opinion anyways.

heaps of blends could be recommended, but that’s the first that came to mind, probably due to ol Charlie boy posing as he works his way through a cigar and some systematic theology
I haven't tried that one, but it sounds interesting. I love c&d super Balkan. It's an English with a pretty stout burley backbone. I was also surprised by how much I liked haunted bookshop. That may even be considered a burley forward blend. I just can't do straight burley. Maybe condemental was the wrong word. I think the burley just needs something with it to make me enjoy it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Solani Burley=Outstanding.

In 2012 I decided that smoking was not good for me, so I quit and sold everything. Meanwhile I still wanted to smoke so I held to my conviction to quit the pipe and starting smoking cigarettes. That practice continued for about 18 months, whereupon I stated smoking buying packs, but this was temporary. After 3 or 4 months of buying packs I looked at myself and admitted that cigarettes weren't temporary and if I was going to smoke I should go back to the pipe, because that was what I wanted to smoke. I returned to the pipe and bought everything back.

I know this doesn't make sense, but it makes more sense if I say that I was drinking.

So having quit the pipe and gone to cigarettes, I returned to the pipe, and one of the august tins I then had the pleasure to smoke was Solani Burley.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I haven't tried that one, but it sounds interesting. I love c&d super Balkan. It's an English with a pretty stout burley backbone. I was also surprised by how much I liked haunted bookshop. That may even be considered a burley forward blend. I just can't do straight burley. Maybe condemental was the wrong word. I think the burley just needs something with it to make me enjoy it.
Any man who loves the bookshop is a friend of mine. Try triple play if you haven’t.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good to read. I will pop my one sealed tin, someday. I got it 1.5 years ago and haven't opened it, a friend gave me a flake to try and what I got from it was tons of liquorice, which is a taste I really dislike so I haven't been in any rush to open that tin.

Reactions: JOHN72

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Good to read. I will pop my one sealed tin, someday. I got it 1.5 years ago and haven't opened it, a friend gave me a flake to try and what I got from it was tons of liquorice, which is a taste I really dislike so I haven't been in any rush to open that tin.
I’m drying mine out crisp and not getting any licorice. However I did when I folded and stuffed a flake.

I’ve smoked through two tins of ABF over the years and I have one open now. Honestly, it doesn’t do much for me. There are so many blends held in high regard and I can’t see what the fuss is about. Glad it’s not my go to blend at its price.
I tend to agree bro. I like the blend but not 2-3x more than other burleys

Status
Not open for further replies.