PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Received my G.L. Pease Gaslight today.
After a bad experience with captain black cherry tobacco and cheap bulk bag tobacco I now get it...
I pulled the tab on the tin of gaslight and was apprehensive to actually put this stuff in my pipe and smoke it.

Smells like hell I thought to myself. Like tar/kerosene/asphalt.

I figured I better cut some off and give it a go, don't like to waste money.

Immediately on the first puff I was dumbfounded. Holy smokes this is incredible!

Creammmmmy, buttery. I closed my eyes and tried to understand what I was experiencing.

Thoughts of smoothness, my wifes goats milk hand soap came to mind. Along with bran, some kind of cereal taste, very pleasant.

I kept thinking to myself as I gently sipped the pipe, this is creamy as all get out and so dang smooth!
Ok guys, long story short, I'm loving it! Dunno what the hell is in it but it's good!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Oh yeah...... I love the GLP blends. Quiet Nights is a stunner too. I had some last night and just marveled at the amazing flavor and aroma. And I've had plenty of QN.
Welcome to the GLP experience! :puffy:

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Thanks. Quiet nights was also in my order.
Is this tobacco ambrosia (food of the gods)? I sure hope Mr. Pease didn't sell his soul for this recipe.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
If you can taste all that, you are going to have an amazing piping career.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Good replies. Enjoying the experience and discussion.
The flavors/perceptions I experienced with gaslight I am also experiencing in some of my other orders.

The Match Nightcap is similar, about 75-80% of what I get from gaslight but not as creamy. This must be the latakia.

My first time having latakia so I can't say for sure. Can't wait to try the other tobacco's from the order I placed.

Will report back soon.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I'm a huge fan of Quiet Nights. I too remember opening it up, and smelling the campfire, and wondering whether it would be any good...and it turned out to be my favorite. You are making me want to try Gas Light.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Appreciate the kinds sentiments, thanks.
Binge sampling my recently received order today with a quick update:
Favorite - Gaslight

Next favorite - Pirate Kake but gaslight is much creamier and a tad bit better according to my taste buds
Others I've sampled today and like:

Match Nightcap (quite good)

Quiet Nights

Dunhill Standard Mixture

Lane Limited Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite
I keep thinking about Gaslight though. I'm finding I quite love these latakia blends but the creaminess of the gaslight is what sets it above the others I've tried so far. Lots more to try but I'm betting gaslight will be my number #1.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Aw snap. Just read that gaslight my be at risk of fazing out because of the demonic fda regulations regarding tobacco introduced after 2007. Anyone know when these regulations kick in? Anyone have any info on pirate kake or other tobacco blends at risk? Damn this really ticks me off if it's true.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I remember when that happened for me. A tin of Rattrays Highland Targe. After cheap cherry (like licking the doorknob to hell but wetter) and repackaged Lane bulk, it was a revelation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Congrats.Now you know why my standard advice for newcomers is "Smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford."

It doesn't have to expensive; with some experience you can find some good quality less expensive bulks. But if they sell it in big bags in the gas station... :puffy:

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Try that Nightcap Match for your first bowl of the day sometime.
If smoked after Gaslight, it can seem a little mundane. But, as an initial smoke, you’ll get the full experience.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Gaslight is a fantastic blend indeed, Pirate Kake is In a league of its own if you really like Latakia (and I do)

Another one which has been recently introduced to me and is fantastic is C&D Black Frigate. Give it a go, I’m sure you’ll love it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Some people - usually non-pipe smokers - will call it hoarding, but I consider it part of building a good tobacco cellar - buy more of what you like. In other words, Buy as many tins of Gas Light as you can afford and stash them away in a dark, cool place like a closet or filing cabinet. That way when the tobacapocalypse occurs, you will have a supply to last for awhile.

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Putting Black Frigate on the future list.
Lots of good info on this forum. You guys rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.