Finally Got My Hands on a Cannoy Suede Blast - PAD (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
12 Fresh Jacono Pipes
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Ashton Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2015
I started the hobby in late 2013, and around then is when Walt's work was introduced to me on another forum. I browsed a bit, found the suede blasts, and immediately emailed him about a commission. Unfortunately, his commissions were closed at the time and I was seriously bummed. So for the past two years I've been pining away at his suede blasts, waiting for the right one to come along (the right one has come along a couple times, but they're always sold almost immediately), and it finally has! It's really everything I wanted in one of Walt's pipes, natural suede so I could see it darken, one of his beautiful ferrules, and a black stem as the white wasn't always my cup of tea. I'm really thrilled at how detailed this blast came out, too. As a bonus, it's a smaller, lighter pipe which is my preference.
002-117-0070.jpg

002-117-0070_1.jpg

002-117-0070_2.jpg

002-117-0070_3.jpg

002-117-0070_4.jpg

002-117-0070_5.jpg

Images courtesy of smokingpipes

Jan 27, 2015
With everything else going on with this pipe, I forgot to even mention how enchanting this shape is to me. Just a simple, curvy brandy. Undisturbed by the blast.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Sweet pipe! I am trying to have the discipline to save up for one of his pipes. Too many other hobbies going on right now.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
The most difficult part of making a tan suedeblast is blasting a perfect piece of briar! The pipe must be flawless in the first place because the tan blast would not serve to hide any imperfections. The only reason it was blasted was for the sake of making a tan blast!
Congratulations on your new pipe, and enjoy! :puffy:

May 31, 2012
Supersweet goodstuff!
Major congrats!

:!:
It is indeed an elegant pipe.
Glad you finally scored a suedeblast and shared your excitement with us,

glorious!
Enjoy & smoke well.

:puffy:

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I don't know whether it's the simpleton in me or the connoisseur but, in my mind, his suede blasts are always stunning.
Beautiful pipe.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Whoa! Amazing grab…congrats! That is a beautiful pipe.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Incredible get, SN.
That tactile sense is so important and Walt's suede burners are amazingly unique.
I love those thick walls.
Fnord

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I never saw before Cannoy's tan suedeblast, it is fantastic!

I know sandblasting is a difficult process, but sometimes the pipes look like carved more than sandblasted.

This pipe seems a kind of sophisticated rustication work, but since Cannoy wrote that a perfect briar is needed I don't think so.

I'd like to know which way he can make such a soft touch blasting process.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
OMG! Did you guys see the inside of the bowl is the same color as the outside? When did Walt start dip staining?!!!!1111111 He's like the next Peterson.
:rofl:
Nice pipe. It's so nice to see an uncoated bowl on an artisan pipe. They seem to be getting a little harder to come by.
Walt if you read this, I do like the white stems :clap:

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
lohengrin said:
I know sandblasting is a difficult process, but sometimes the pipes look like carved more than sandblasted.

This pipe seems a kind of sophisticated rustication work, but since Cannoy wrote that a perfect briar is needed I don't think so.
If you can figure out how to carve this, let me know. I might save me much time! :lol:
IMG_2556_b.jpg

bigpond said:
OMG! Did you guys see the inside of the bowl is the same color as the outside? When did Walt start dip staining?!!!!1111111 He's like the next Peterson.
Why I ought-ta... 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.