PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
A few weeks or so ago I posted an all briar I found that needed some TLC. I didn't have some of the tools needed to do a resto on it so I waited... And waited... And finally was able to buy a senior reamer and some pipe polish. The rim was pretty beat but like some said, it adds to the pipes character. I took it on its maiden smoke and she smokes wonderfully! The briar stem is sure something to get used to , especially since I am a clencher. But don't worry, I do not clench this pipe! I would hate to do any major damage to it since the briar is so much softer than any other stem material.
So, how did she turn out to you?
Before:

After:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I really like the look of the all briar pipe, though it may not be all that practical at the button end.

It seems like there is no need for a tenon and mortise joint either.

At any rate, you did a first class job rescuing an uncommon and attractive pipe. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This could inspire some artisan to revive this tradition. Great job on restoration.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice! I'm going to a shop in NY tomorrow that had a unsmoked Allbriar. I might just have to pick that one up, if it's still there....

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Beautiful save! Looks like it is going to be a great smoker, just wonder how much of the residual taste will end up in the stem as I assume the inside is porous and untreated?

Status
Not open for further replies.