PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
The way (IIRC) that Altinay explained it to me is that the carver has to be looking for it as they rough out a block. It doesn’t really present itself until it’s smoothed out and polished, and lots of Meer is carved so intricately that the translucent appearance is lost. When you have one in your hand vs. looking at photos on the internet, it’s much easier to see how that could be the case.

FWIW, I’ve owned/sold quite a few meers at this point, and I’ve only seen it once. Not that I’ve handled any more than anyone here, but I’ve only seen it once and it was pointed out to me by Altinay. I think it’s a term he came up with to market them, but I also think it’s known among carvers. Whether or not they choose to highlight it is on them. That said, I’d love to see how others’ have colored since this thread brought so many of them out of the woodwork.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The way (IIRC) that Altinay explained it to me is that the carver has to be looking for it as they rough out a block. It doesn’t really present itself until it’s smoothed out and polished, and lots of Meer is carved so intricately that the translucent appearance is lost. When you have one in your hand vs. looking at photos on the internet, it’s much easier to see how that could be the case.

FWIW, I’ve owned/sold quite a few meers at this point, and I’ve only seen it once. Not that I’ve handled any more than anyone here, but I’ve only seen it once and it was pointed out to me by Altinay. I think it’s a term he came up with to market them, but I also think it’s known among carvers. Whether or not they choose to highlight it is on them. That said, I’d love to see how others’ have colored since this thread brought so many of them out of the woodwork.
I have one from Altinay and it is the only one I've ever come across to date as well...and I have several meers from different carvers/outlets.

The interesting thing about mine is that it has been coloring much more slowly than average...I expected just the opposite. The below pics were taken just a week or so ago, and it has been smoked every day for nearly two years now. My theory is that these translucent blocks are not all the same...it may depend on how fine or coarse the "grain" is in each one?

The pic that Said Altinay posted of his personal translucent meer which was heavily colored showed a coarse pattern, whereas the one I see in mine is much finer, so I'm thinking perhaps that might account for the slow coloring.

IMG_20230208_213806.jpg
IMG_20230208_213827.jpg
IMG_20230208_213947.jpg

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have one from Altinay and it is the only one I've ever come across to date as well...and I have several meers from different carvers/outlets.

The interesting thing about mine is that it has been coloring much more slowly than average...I expected just the opposite. The below pics were taken just a week or so ago, and it has been smoked every day for nearly two years now. My theory is that these translucent blocks are not all the same...it may depend on how fine or coarse the "grain" is in each one?

The pic that Said Altinay posted of his personal translucent meer which was heavily colored showed a coarse pattern, whereas the one I see in mine is much finer, so I'm thinking perhaps that might account for the slow coloring.

View attachment 203991
View attachment 203992
View attachment 203993

Something about them is truly unique. If I’m being 100% honest, I’d probably let my Dall ram pipe go before my translucent Meer. For me, it’s just the perfect pipe, especially now. It’s the right size, shape, and weight. My lack of smoking has placed me in the enlightened, “Duane state of mind” where I can’t really look at them as much more than an implement to smoke tobacco. I’m not as entrenched in the hobby anymore, so I see the majority of them as taking up space and money.

My translucent pipe escapes this classification.