PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lianza

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2021
Wilberforce, Ontario
Title edited. Please read rule 9. -jpm

Hello pipe smokers!

I have smoked with and without filters and I can honestly say I enjoy using filters when I smoke my pipes. My favorite system so far is Brigham's maple filters. I have also tried balsa wood filtered pipes, and plastic filtered pipes.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a different/unique filtration system that any brand\company uses?

Thanks in advance,
Lianza

Last edited by a moderator:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
This can be a controversial subject with forum members. I don’t like filters and the closest I’ve come is the EA Carey Magic Inch System. With this, some vents in the stem are designed to meter some cool air into the smoke stream to condense moisture and cause it to be absorbed by a papyrate sleeve in the stem. A cool, dry smoke stream is the result. Best of luck!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The only filters I've tried are the Dr. Graybow cardboard filters. I don't use them not because I don't like them but because I don't smoke the one Dr. Graybow pipes that fits them. They're otherwise ok.

Is the Brigham tube a filter at all? Seems like it's really a liner for the draft hole and that it doesn't actually filter anything.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The only filters I've tried are the Dr. Graybow cardboard filters. I don't use them not because I don't like them but because I don't smoke the one Dr. Graybow pipes that fits them. They're otherwise ok.

Is the Brigham tube a filter at all? Seems like it's really a liner for the draft hole and that it doesn't actually filter anything.
it does the same thing any of the filters do. I swear despite what people insist the filters for pipes only collect smoke and moisture but otherwise don't change what you get. The composition is the same as without a filter. So the wooden tubes do the same thing.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Hello pipe smokers!

I have smoked with and without filters and I can honestly say I enjoy using filters when I smoke my pipes. My favorite system so far is Brigham's maple filters. I have also tried balsa wood filtered pipes, and plastic filtered pipes.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a different/unique filtration system that any brand\company uses?

Thanks in advance,
Lianza
Have you tried a Peterson system pipe? No filter but a unique system

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I don’t often use filters. I have a nice semi-churchwarden Savinelli that uses the balsa wood filters. However, I feel it restricts the draw a bit too much. But I do have a cheap Lorenzo Spitfire that uses 9mm charcoal filters. I do enjoy the flavor of a particular local B&M English blend through those charcoal filters, and every two weeks or so I’ll have a bowl.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Why not develop a proper smoking technique which obviates any need for a filter ?
Myself and a good many others on this forum have no problems with tongue bite or moisture when using a standard pipe.

I'll offer two answers to this. One, I think there are some of us whose pH is such that we're just more prone to tongue bite, no matter of technique. But two, speaking for myself, I didn't get into smoking a pipe because one day I woke up and said, "Oh man. How awesome would it be if I mastered proper pipe smoking technique?" I got into pipes because I like the taste of pipe tobacco and because I enjoy the artistry of pipe making.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I'll offer two answers to this. One, I think there are some of us whose pH is such that we're just more prone to tongue bite, no matter of technique. But two, speaking for myself, I didn't get into smoking a pipe because one day I woke up and said, "Oh man. How awesome would it be if I mastered proper pipe smoking technique?" I got into pipes because I like the taste of pipe tobacco and because I enjoy the artistry of pipe making.
It may not be awesome if you master a proper pipe smoking technique that does not require the use of filters, but it would be normal and enjoyable.

I'm not saying that you don't enjoy your pipe using charcoal filters.
I'm just saying they are unnecessary crap. Mere toys for those unwilling to learn. Perhaps a bit like stabiliser wheels for children's bicycles.

I used to get tongue bite many years ago, but I learnt to avoid it by using good technique.

I had to learn by myself. You have the advantage of a forum where you can ask questions and get answers.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
If I can jump in on the technique versus ph subject. I think there would be a way to test this. If, when EvertonFC smokes his pipe, does the pipe get so hot it has to be put down to cool off? When I smoke my pipe, it gets warm, but never so hot that I have to let it cool off. If the pipe gets too hot, that could be a source of tongue bite and a technique issue with packing and smoking. I would think that could be a possibility with a filter, since the draw is so much more restricted.

Michigan_Bill

Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Do I remember correctly, that about 40 years ago there was a filter pipe that had tubular paper filters? The pipes had some sort of plastic pipe with holes in it where the tenon usually is, and a sort of grille kinda doohicky to let external air in. The idea was that when you drew on the pipe, external air would make the moisture in the smoke condense onto the paper filters, which covered the inner pierced pipe. Rube Goldberg approach to smoking a pipe. Suppose it couldn’t have lasted long as a viable product.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don't like the way that my lips get wet when drinking a pint straight from the glass. I find that using a straw overcomes this problem.

Dear naïve Englishman,

We’ve got you covered.

Yours very sincerely,
The Colonies.

053d6cd6-a0d2-43cd-8ec8-3167592a46ce_1.4519e4c2ff6e30fdd42aea2243ab97f6.jpeg

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Do I remember correctly, that about 40 years ago there was a filter pipe that had tubular paper filters? The pipes had some sort of plastic pipe with holes in it where the tenon usually is, and a sort of grille kinda doohicky to let external air in. The idea was that when you drew on the pipe, external air would make the moisture in the smoke condense onto the paper filters, which covered the inner pierced pipe. Rube Goldberg approach to smoking a pipe. Suppose it couldn’t have lasted long as a viable product.
Sounds like the E. A. Carey, mentioned above. I don't care for them, but they sort of work and are still around. I used them as a beginner. The "filter" is a sleeve that dissipates gurgle fairly effectively. The slots dilute the smoke a bit, also, which tends to soften the impact on the tyro's tongue. My biggest objection was the esthetics. But, you know, they're OK if you need something, real or imagined.