PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighorn

Lurker
Aug 4, 2019
Returning to pipes after a 20 year hiatus and looking to purchase. Do most pipes now use filters.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Most of the pipes I've bought over the last 18 months are designed to take a 9mm filter.

All of them smoke well without - although charcoal filters are great at taming tongue bite or for slightly taming too strong a blend, I don't like how they inhibit the draw.
An adapter can be bought to reduce the open draw in lieu of the filter. I don't find them necessary in any of my 9mm's.

Reactions: danimalia

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Welcome!
As stated by others, most new European pipes take 9mm filters. Adapters are very cheap and bring the draw down to 3mm if you would rather not use a filter. As far as filters go there are a lot of options but I prefer the Stanwell charcoal ones (when I use one).
Many Savinelli pipes are made for 6mm rather than 9mm filters. The Savinelli filters are balsa wood inserts. As with 9mm pipes, cheap adapters are available to bring them down to 3mm if you don't want to use the balsa inserts.

Reactions: UncleRasta

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Welcome. The above posts summed it up. Brigham pipes have a different kind of filter. It is worth looking into if you are interested.

Reactions: cortezattic

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Hello and welcome from the Pacific Northwest.
In the past I had a couple Italian pipes made for filters but used an adapter as @seldom mentioned to convert to an unfiltered smoke. This seemed to work out ok at the time.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
As a guy who has smoked more than my fair share of tobacco in Brigham pipes I would highly recommend using their rock maple filters.

Reactions: cortezattic

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The question of whether most new pipes have filters has been answered, but whether you enjoy a filter is for you to decide.

But yes, the Brigham filters are excellent at cutting down moisturebut not affecting the draw.

brigham-fil1.jpg

As a guy who has smoked more than my fair share of tobacco in Brigham pipes I would highly recommend using their rock maple filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.