Filters that Minimize Taste Modification.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smmirza

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arizona
www.willyounotreason.com
Hello!
I have been dabbling with filters due to my exasperation with getting bit by my beloved Virginias. I know the general consensus is that you are better off without a filter due to the taste being diluted - and I agree that the tobacco is muted when smoked through a filter. However, I was wondering if there is a filter that does not affect the tobacco taste too much. Would be very much obliged if you could share your thoughts.
Godbless!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Savinelli balsa or the Brigham maple inserts. However, a good argument could be made that neither are actually filters. The smoke is drawn through them, but rather around (Savinelli) or through a hole in the middle (Brigham) them . The wood absorbs excess moisture. IMO, for as littler it’s worth, neither affects the flavor at all. I also don’t think they will prevent tongue bite, but YMMV

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Unfortunately, all filters will affect the taste. Have you tried aging your tobacco for a few years and revisiting? That often contributes to reducing the potential tongue bite, I find.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
All my pipes are 9mm filtered pipes and I use an assortment of activated charcoal 9mm filters (Savinelli, Elephant, Peterson). Honestly, I've not noticed a difference between the filters, nor have I noticed a difference between the filtered and unfiltered smoking experience in terms of taste. Maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant. All I know is I never get tongue bite.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As others have said , and helped me out , dry it longer, experiment with packing, cadence, and brands/blends. For instance Mac Barren Va bites me but not the HH line. And aging really can tame. In my limited experience with filters I find experimenting with everything above yields a more satisfying smoke… as always YMMV. On the off chance you haven’t tried Peterson Flake I find it smokes smooth and cool right out the tin.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
When I smoke an aromatic it's usually in a Savinelli with a balsa insert. Other than reducing the moisture and smoothing out some roughness I don't see it's doing anything negative. It can make some unsmokable blends smokable. If you search this subject you'll find more info. puffy