Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Apr 25, 2022
9mm White Elephant Supermix vs Meershaum , anyone care to help a senior ? How effective? Preferred brands? Thanks
Old Brown Trout

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't understand the question. Are you comparing two brands of 9 mm filters? Or asking about filters in general. I think filter use among the membership is a distinct minority. I don't use them often and think of them useful mostly for when smoking much more than usual, like at a pipe show, pipe club, or pipe shop. Maybe if you can rephrase the question a little more fully, you'll get some cogent responses.

Apr 25, 2022
I don't understand the question. Are you comparing two brands of 9 mm filters? Or asking about filters in general. I think filter use among the membership is a distinct minority. I don't use them often and think of them useful mostly for when smoking much more than usual, like at a pipe show, pipe club, or pipe shop. Maybe if you can rephrase the question a little more fully, you'll get some cogent responses.
White Elephant offers both combinations, the "Supermix" contains a charcoal and ground meerschaum mix vs just plain meerschaum. Decided to try WE brand vs as well as Petersen , and Savinelli.
My dad was a farmer and kept bottles of nicotine as flea control on his chickens, so was curious of what filter users prefer

Apr 25, 2022
White Elephant offers both combinations, the "Supermix" contains a charcoal and ground meerschaum mix vs just plain meerschaum. Decided to try WE brand vs as well as Petersen , and Savinelli.
My dad was a farmer and kept bottles of nicotine as flea control on his chickens, so wanted to be proactive

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
My dad was a farmer and kept bottles of nicotine as flea control on his chickens, so wanted to be proactive
Think you were better off with the first version of the question lol

I use regular old charcoal 9mm and they are fine, I don't bother with the more expensive or meerschaum type.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
there are a couple youtubes where people compare some various filters.
overall - same same all around. i'm not sure what is in the white elephant ones, but i'm happy to stick with charcoal versions, or savinelli balsa in disigned-for-filter pipes. I sometimes use 3mm (or 4mm) denicota paper filters in some pipes where i removed stingers. all do similar things. I do not detect any impact on nic intake.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
In spite of the fact I do not smoke non-filter pipes, I've haven't been able to differentiate between filter brands. For my Savinelli pipes, I use their balsam filters exclusively. I recently learned they sell other styles, will have to try them out.

Reactions: Puff nstuff
Apr 25, 2022
Thankyou Matt for such brilliant and comprehensive videos on pipe filters especially your focus on 9mm . Recently I ordered the White Elephant Superflow mixed and Meerschaum only filters to determine the differences in coolness and flavour. Your dissections were revealing , even going so far as to weighing before and after end product. Your tasteful Redcoat Fife and Drum intro music reminds me of my Conservation internship at Colonial Williamsburg and Ft Louisbourg in Halifax Nova Scotia.
I prefer Savinelli charcoal filters, both 6mm and 9mm, they have the best draw in my experience. Here is a comprehensive discussion and comparison of filter types.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I've tried the 6mm balsa Savinelli and the 9mm Vauen. Not a fan. I just toss mine.

Just try them out, try your pipes without them, and see what you like.

Reactions: JRW11b

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Thankyou Matt for such brilliant and comprehensive videos on pipe filters especially your focus on 9mm . Recently I ordered the White Elephant Superflow mixed and Meerschaum only filters to determine the differences in coolness and flavour. Your dissections were revealing , even going so far as to weighing before and after end product. Your tasteful Redcoat Fife and Drum intro music reminds me of my Conservation internship at Colonial Williamsburg and Ft Louisbourg in Halifax Nova Scotia.
That’s Lester not me, I believe he’s in Switzerland, although I’m thrilled that you found the videos as helpful as me. Lester is a wonderful person, scientific and very entertaining. Always happy to help.

Smoke Wagon

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2022
I use a filter in one of my Peterson pipes. Im a wet smoker and it does almost eliminate that as a problem for me. It’s not enough for me to just buy filtered pipes, but it’s a nice option.

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I only have one old cob pipe that has a fliter. I use a filter in it because it draws better. All my other pipes have no filters. I don't like filters.

Reactions: Akoni808