PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
I have one Stanwell, and I like it very much. Not that style though. But I think that is a very nice choice.

Last edited:

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Thank you for your replies. I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I did see those 2 qandales at smokingpipes.com, but not in the bowl shape that I prefer (315 ks rusticated) [I like a thick walled pipe to absorb the heat a bit better. And I did see the Vauen pipes, but they are about double my budget ($100 is my upper limit). But thank you for the assistance.
I have a Quandale 315 Ks smokes cool but that is more to do with the 9mm charcoal filter that I use rather than the length of the stem.
The Molina churchwarden looks a good buy that takes a 9mm filter.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Thank you for everyone who replied. I hope I found a good solution, but I ended up going with the Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson no. 2. It is a bent Dublin prepared to take a 9mm filter and it comes with 2 stems, one standard size and one churchwarden size. And it was on sale :). I already ordered it, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with Stanwells?

View attachment 94663
View attachment 94664
i was going to post the Stanwell HCA series are available in both filtered and unfiltered.
i have a unfiltered shape 4 for sale here.I have found Stanwells to smoke nicely and be well made especially the older Danish made ones

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I understand some people are adverse to filters. Personally, I find useful and helpful. I thought about how the G&H Black Irish X became more pleasant with my filtered meerschaum. I also am not adversed to stingers and tubes as well. The machinery of smoking need not be filter free for the best smoke.

CJ7

Lurker
Aug 20, 2021
Update: The Stanwell came, and I was, at first a bit disappointed. It seemed smaller than the pictures, but that was my fault for not paying close attention to the measurements. Also, the finish was so thick and the pipe itself so light, that I thought at first it was made of some sort of plastic or polymer. But, after smoking it a few times with both stems, I must say I like the pipe, though I do wish the bowl was bigger. The short stem and light weight makes it an excellent clencher. My wife actually likes it a lot (she smoked it once with the churchwarden stem. So she might be inheriting that one, and my search for a beefier churchwarden that takes a filter might resume. At any rate, it is a good little smoker, even if it wasn't exactly what I was wanting.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
**Wink, wink**

As a rule of thumb, most churchwardens have smaller bowls than their short-stemmed cousins. I dunno what's "beefier" for you, but you'll be hard pressed to find a 'warden with a cavernous chamber—though, hmm, maybe Nording? ?

I'm sure there are Meerschäume churchwardens with huge chambers but they're not filtered.