PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelsoliman

Lurker
Oct 31, 2016
I am a new pipe smoker but I have a problem frustrating me, I used moist tobacco(I think it is oriental tobacco) with Vauen Dr Perl Junior filters but every time the filter become super wet and stuck in pipe and crash in it.

Should I dry the tobacco or there are other reasons for this problem???

I dont want to smoke without filters so I need to solve this problem

Thanks in advance!

Oriental tobaccos aren't really known for being very moist. What is the blend?

But, by the nature of a filter, you create turbulence in your pipe that creates moisture. Removing this moisture is the design of the filter, so wet is just going to happen. Maybe get a pair of tweezers for your pipe bag that will better grab the filter to remove it.

samuelsoliman

Lurker
Oct 31, 2016
Oriental tobaccos aren't really known for being very moist. What is the blend?

But, by the nature of a filter, you create turbulence in your pipe that creates moisture. Removing this moisture is the design of the filter, so wet is just going to happen. Maybe get a pair of tweezers for your pipe bag that will better grab the filter to remove it.
It was English blend, I dont think the tweezers will work because the filter crash to 2 halfs one inside the stem and it is very tight I cant insert tweezer between the stem wall and the filter half

do you think If I dried the tobacco that can solve the problem?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If your filter is stuck in the stem then the easiest way to get it out would be to force a pipe cleaner into the mouthpiece end and push the filter out.
Regards,
Jay.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
put a small coil behind the filter that can act as a spring to help push it out
This reminds me of the John Wayne movie "Big Jake" where Patrick Wayne put a spring in his holster. :worship:

Vaseline? No, no, you want a water based lube... KY. :P

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@Samuelsoliman - Sorry, I never use filters, even in pipes that had them, and haven't had this problem. I think Cosmic was joking, but can never be sure. :) I was joking.
Yes, by all means, dry your tobacco more. It will help cut down on moisture, but, since moisture is a byproduct of combustion, there will always be some moisture. Don't give up on the pipe. Once you get the hang of it, there is nothing more delicious and satisfying.

Well, I was and wasn't joking. I am creative brainstormer. I throw out options and edit them later. This makes sure you don't self-edit yourself out of something that might work.
Ultimately, I have no experience with Vauen Pipes or their filters. I have used Stanwell filters and Savinelli inserts. I can imagine that moisture would make the paper filter expand and maybe get a water surface tension thing going on. But, I can't imagine it sticking so badly that you can't get it out, unless the filters set below a mortise. A picture would help, as I've never seen a Vauen up close.
But, I am betting that you are in a Germanic area. Those guys really trust those filters to protect them. Here in the US, we pretty much see filters as a cancer placebo that just ruins the flavors. Do you inhale?
Once again, I just throw out ideas and see if anything sticks as I have no experience with these pipes. But I am trying to help. Maybe someone who is more familiar with Vauens can come along and help.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Way outside the box idea:
Go to a hardware store and get an easy out bit......they're designed for getting broken bolts and screws out but the right size might work to get your filter out.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I throw out options and edit them later."
Easy to do with Mod status and whatever text editing you are allowed to perform with such powers :wink:
We mortals have only a few seconds to edit our own :roll:
Samuel, I would suggest you stick with it, the benefits of pipe smoking over RYO are huge and of course every member of this forum has had a problem at some point or another in their pipe smoking careers but they just battled on and are pleased they did.
Regards,
Jay.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Or you might just be a very wet smoker. I used to be one too, and I too have gotten a Dr. Perl filter stuck in a Vauen, but I got it stuck in the shank (somehow). It broke when I tried pulling it out. Admittedly Dr. Perls are prone to breaking, the paper they use to wrap the carbon grains are durable at all. I'd say try not to clench too often until you got used to controlling your saliva.

Status
Not open for further replies.