PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

songdog

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
I've recently developed a yen for a pipe offered online. Trouble is that the pipe has a 9mm filter. Can I just pull it out and throw it away like Medico filters in cob pipes? Will I then have at least potentially a pipe with an easy draw?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Maybe. I would perhaps try one of these. No personal experience.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=114618
If you have a pipe that you happen to really like, but don't care for its 9mm-filter internals, this is a simple solution that reduces the filter-chamber down to the size of a standard 3mm drafthole.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
A 9mm pipe used without a filter creates a sort of saliva trap that will spill onto clothing at the earliest opportunity, once the pipe is tilted slightly. Avoid!

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I have a few 9mil filter pipes that I smoke sans filter without any problems. I have tried the reducer thingies but don't bother with them now.
I have to say I'd rather buy pipes with no filter chamber, but i can't pass a good deal on the German eBay (where most pipes sold are9mil pipes). Only downside I can think of is the little extra work that goes into cleaning the filter chamber (I use a q-tip). Never have had any problems with saliva accumulation.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have one 9mm and several 6mm pipes. I don't use filters in any of them, and they all smoke great! If the draw bothers you, then the adapters that Chris listed should do nicely.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With so many quality non-filter pipes available in every price range (you always have to shop selectively to

get anything good, but there are plenty available) I'm not sure why you would buy a 9 mm filter pipe you

don't intend to use with the filter. There are ways around it, but why bother? I know how it is to become

infatuated with a pipe, but this is my rational response; see if it works for you.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I usually get rid of the filters. The only I do use a filter in is my new Brigham Country Club. I'm still on the fence about using the maple filters in it so time will tell.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned plenty of 6mm and 9 mm pipes and smoked them all without the filters and they all smoked great. Not a one smoked wet. All of my 9mm pipes were Winslows and the 6mm were Savinelli's.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Have two 9mm pipes, these I personally either use the filter (if I have one) or an adapter. I do smaoke my Savinelli pipes w/o the filter sometimes. I may have to try one of the 9mm w/o it. Reason I never had was I guess I also thought it would be a trap, or to large of a draw.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
The discussion about filters is eternal. I use the Sav. balsa filters in my Savs and cobs. I don't care for paper filters. I use the maple inserts in my Brighams. I sometimes smoke the cobs or the Savs without the filters. Generally speaking I'm in the minority of folks on here who like some filters. I do sometimes suspect that there are more "closet" filter users on here than we know. :)

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I smoke a Savinelli 6mm pipe with and without. If the tobacco is a bit harsh for my tastes, I use the filter. Otherwise I like the better draw without. I've never noticed any side effects with not using the filter.

songdog

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Thanks to all who replied. I guess I'll pass on that Rattray's Bull and Dog after all. Beautiful pipe, though.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
affraid.gif

Oh the horror!

They put filters in pipes?
:puffy:

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Please don't be afraid but the 9 mm filter pipes are pretty good (i.e. K. Joure ;-)) If you don't wont to smoke filter pipe you can find an 9 mm adaptor so it will be a completely free smoke.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I' started with a couple Grabow pipes and got rid of the filters. Not sure what size they were but I haven't had a problem. ( as I smoke my Grand Duke)

Status
Not open for further replies.