PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Evening,

I wonder if someone might tell me which make of pipes have the 6mm or 9mm disposable filters as a norm?

Thanks so much,

Tony

crossroads

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
South of England
Peterson do a range of pipes called Dublin Filter which are all 9mm. They take Peterson filter which is charcoal filled and absorbs moisture and some tar from the smoke. They do reduce the draw somewhat, so you have to pack a bit lighter to compensate.

Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My only 9 mm filter pipe is an Austrian made Kemperling, but it smokes equally well without a filter or adaptor, which is true of most 6 mm or 9 mm filter pipes including the Savinelli balsa 6 mm filter pipes. There's no guarantee, but so far, it has always been true for me.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Lots of good suggestions so far. Savinelli produce great pipes in both 6mm and 9mm. Most European pipe companies will produce 9mm options, since they are looked upon more favourably there. For the 6mm, you can find inexpensive cobs, Grabows, Rossi, etc that are drilled for them.

One manufacturer that produces a lot of 9mm pipes that many overlook is Rattray's. They have a wide range of shapes and prices, and I save found them to be quality pieces.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Both Vauen and Savinelli use 9 mm filters and 6 mm filters if I'm not mistaken. I have several pipes from both makers and enjoy them very much. If I had to choose a make, I'd go with Vauen. Good, German engineering with very good value for money along with charcoal filters that don't take away flavours.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Lots of good suggestions. I don’t think I saw Brebbia mentioned. Rattrays is a good suggestion. Both would be easy to get in the US. Look on some sites outside of the US. Alpascia, lepipe.it, pipe-24.de, Estervals. I’ve been lucky enough to find filtered Santambrogio and Viprati pipes regularly new on eBay. Filtered versions of brands are easier to get overseas. I found a filtered Ardor, can’t remember where, but I’ve seen them quite a bit. Ser Jacapo makes a lot, I found two!

Reactions: Old_Woodsman