PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
No filters for me. They definitely mute the flavor in my case. I've actually done a side by side comparison (a filtered pipe and one without) to test this once with the same straight Virginia. The tobacco in the filtered pipe tasted almost bland compared to the non filtered pipe. The Virginia had a much fuller and richer taste in the non filtered pipe.

Reactions: JOHN72

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I don't usually use a filter in my pipes that accept them, but when I do use one I use the balsa wood. I put the balsa in the pipe and take it out after the pipe has pretty much cooled down.

I then can clean the pipe and run a pipe cleaner through it.

I let the filter dry and evaporate the moisture before I reuse it the next time I need it..

Reactions: yanoJL

zenistar

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Switzerland
Depends on the pipe, I have without, 9mm and 6mm. The balsa 6mm for Savinelis are really just moisture absorbers but I don’t particularly like using them, in my 9mm pipes I generally use the 9mm meerschaum filters which I find work really well and i much prefer them to the charcoal.

Reactions: JOHN72 and yanoJL

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I have a few pipes made for a filter—a couple of Italians and a Dane. I have never used one and doubt if I ever will. The pipes all smoke well without a filter.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
The only blend I use a filter for is Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. If I smoke it without filters, it is simply too tangy and bites my tongue even with the lightest cadence. But mostly i just avoid that blend, as I never know whether to reuse the filter, and if I do, do I clean the pipe and put a dirty filter back in?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
When I started with the world of the pipe, I tried with and without filter. And to this day I smoke without filter. It gives me a more pleasant smoke, or more complete in general terms, more satisfying.

Reactions: SBC

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I have a few 9mm meers but never used a filter until about a year or so ago when I decided to experiment with them just to see for myself the effect. I tried carbon, meerschaum, balsa and Falcon filters.

The Falcons are the only ones I liked because they have the least effect on the draw...just absorb moisture. I only use them now when smoking fast burning blends.

The balsa filters may have been just as good, but they're too large in diameter for my meers. Have to either squish them down to make them fit or trim them. Not worth the bother given the Falcon option.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
On all my Sav I either replace the filter with a plastic hollow tube sold specifically for this purpose or just go without. Depends on the pipe and the tobacco. But all my Pete's are no filter. My meers and cobs too. Never filter. To me the draw is affected more so than the taste.

Reactions: JOHN72 and SBC

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I tried filtered and non-filtered. 9mm, 6mm, Falcon. I much prefer a traditional 3 or 4mm boring. Any pipe well bored with the air channels aligned will give a good smoke, pending the basic rules are satisfied and the briar is, at a minimum, of half-decent quality.