PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
So my personal choice is right now filter. It gives me a much cooler smoke and therefore more flavour.

Most of my estate pipe are none filter. It s not that I can't enjoy em but the smoke is way hotter and I need to suck up the humidity with a pipe cleaner from now and then.

Is none filter pipes just harder as a novice to smoke right? I try to have a low cadence but hey for me it still feels hot.what is your experience? I heared you get more flavour notes out of the tobacco without filter.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
For me, it depends on the tobacco. If it burns hot and wet, I prefer to have a filter, otherwise I don't typically use one.
I like paper and balsa filters that act as a moisture absorber without muting the flavor like charcoal filters sometimes can.
I got to try the balsa filter maybe it fits some estate of mine :)

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Mostly without but occasional with. Depends more on my mood than anything else. Fiddlieness and not passing a pipe cleaner are probably the main reasons against filters in my case, more so than flavor or dryness.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can’t stand filters, it bugs me that I can’t stick a pipe cleaner through my pipe when a filters in it, I don’t like that they (most of them) restrict the draw of the pipe. I do, however, love pipes that are made to accept a filter, I just choose not to smoke it with the filter or the adapter in it. Some people love them though, just like some people like those thick rubber bits that protect the stem, I can’t stand those either. Pipe makers spend so much time on the stem to give their customers a comfortable clench, those rubber thangs just adds too much girth, it makes my jaw sore but whatever works for you. The thing is, you’ll just have to find out what you like for yourself.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
All in favour of the filtered pipe at the moment. I’ve got a couple of 6mm’s and a couple of 9mm ones, and they have pretty much become my rotation at present, as I have a straight and a bent in both sizes.

One thing that does puzzle me somewhat is that the 6mm Dublin refuses point blank to accept a 6mm charcoal filter, so either the pipe, or the filter, is wrong. Beyond that I’m all good with them, they are just so expensive, but then everything is these days.

I know we are all different, smoking different blends and brands, but I don’t notice a lack of flavour compared to filterless pipes; if anything they cool the smoke down, so I think it’s quite the opposite - they give me more flavour.

Anyway, horses for courses and whatever floats your dingy I guess.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Filters really mute the flavor for me. Especially with complex blends that have a lot of nuance and complexity, filters make that all go away. Also, I am mostly a one bowl a day guy, so I appreciate having a fulsome taste level.

However, filters are useful for dipping your toe in on extra strong blends, or if you are attending a pipe show, pipe club, or pipe shop where you will be smoking a lot more than usual. You just factor that into what you are tasting.

I have charcoal, balsa, and paper filters on hand, but mostly don't use them. Most pipes designed to use filters will smoke perfectly well without them, so you don't have to choose one way or the other when you buy pipes. Some may not, but all that I have tried do just fine.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
So my personal choice is right now filter. It gives me a much cooler smoke and therefore more flavour.

Most of my estate pipe are none filter. It s not that I can't enjoy em but the smoke is way hotter and I need to suck up the humidity with a pipe cleaner from now and then.

Is none filter pipes just harder as a novice to smoke right? I try to have a low cadence but hey for me it still feels hot.what is your experience? I heared you get more flavour notes out of the tobacco without filter.
The only answer that matters is yours. Balsa inserts as used in Savinellis aren’t filters. They are moisture absorbers. I use them for aromatics in my Savs and cobs. The Savs and the cobs smoke perfectly fine with or without them. I have no experience with 9mm filter pipes.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've never once smoked with a filter, and with the broad consensus being that they mute flavor, I'm not motivated to try.

I wouldn't use one to cool a hot smoke. That seems like a bandaid that doesn't really address the problem. If I'm smoking like a locamotive, then that needs to change; and, if I'm not, then that's just a hot tobacco that I don't need to keep around.

Mainly I'm just psychologically averse to the idea of a filter.

If the concern is medical, I'd rather have fewer bowls without a filter than more bowl with one. But that's me.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I've never once smoked with a filter, and with the broad consensus being that they mute flavor, I'm not motivated to try.

I wouldn't use one to cool a hot smoke. That seems like a bandaid that doesn't really address the problem. If I'm smoking like a locamotive, then that needs to change; and, if I'm not, then that's just a hot tobacco that I don't need to keep around.

Mainly I'm just psychologically averse to the idea of a filter.

If the concern is medical, I'd rather have fewer bowls without a filter than more bowl with one. But that's me.
Thing is aros often smoke hot. Filter is a great choice to kill this problem and the aro has still enough flavour.

With "natural" tobaccos I can see the problem but they burn cooler at least for mw

Reactions: yanoJL