Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

H

HRPufnstuf

Decided to use my new Missouri Meerscham with the provided filter...typicall I smoke filterless and baffleless. How many smokes can I expect to get from the average Medico style filter?
Not a puffer, more a sipper.

Reactions: Servant King

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
This is another there are 50 variables and one answer. Smoke it till you notice a difference and change it. You want to be really cheap smoke one or two bowls out of one then take it out and let it air dry and smoke a couple more bowls out of it. There is no on answer or even no 10 answers, humidity, tobacco type, how much you dry it ... all YMMV.

TheHellYeah

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Porto, Portugal
instagram.com
When I bought my first new pipe I asked the seller(Savinelli) the same question. They said I could use up to 2 or 3 smokes the balsa filters. Since I use only one tobacco brand with that pipe I started to notice small changes in the tobacco flavour. Sometimes I grip the filter with my fingers and feel it a bit “wet” or saturated. That’s when I change. But I guess this can be different for each and everyone of us.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
When I bought my first new pipe I asked the seller(Savinelli) the same question. They said I could use up to 2 or 3 smokes the balsa filters. Since I use only one tobacco brand with that pipe I started to notice small changes in the tobacco flavour. Sometimes I grip the filter with my fingers and feel it a bit “wet” or saturated. That’s when I change. But I guess this can be different for each and everyone of us.
Basically that’s ‘s what I do.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
There is no real rule. Smoke it until you think it needs changing. Over time you will figure out what works best for you. I clean my Savinelli and Brigham filters with water to make them last longer. MM filters are cardboard so I wouldn't recommend that for them

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Before someone asks, no you shouldn’t try to wash your filters to reuse them. ;)

I generally went 2 maybe 3 smokes with the paper filters and more with balsa, but don’t use them any more. Whatever works for you. Your palate will tell you when to change it.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Go by taste. Different people will have different preferences for how long a filter will taste good. I would point out that most (but not all) pipes designed to use a filter will smoke perfectly well without one, so in most cases you have the option of smoking a pipe with its assigned filter, using the adaptor that can be used in place of the filter for a filterless airway, or just leave the filter out altogether and use the clear airway.

The rare pipe will have too open a draw or turbulence in the airway that you don't want, but most pipes including the 9 mm filter pipes smoke well without filter or adaptor, no turbulence, no problem. The main use for the adaptors is if you like a little more restricted draw.

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I suggest not bothering with filters. You can get the same effect by going slow or gently as in sipping the pipe instead of puffing.
Some blends do bite me pretty hard, even after just a few minutes of smoking. Filters allow me to enjoy blends I otherwise probably wouldn’t be able to smoke. We are all different and have different body chemistries.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I usually use a balsa insert when I smoke a Savinelli or a cob (if I’m not using my forever stem). I throw them out after one bowl; I don’t smoke enough to make it worth my time to clean and dry them for multiple uses.