PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savinelli and Rossi pipes often come with adaptors, but many filter pipes don't. However, many or most filter pipes smoke perfectly well without an adaptor. Whether you want an adaptor depends on the individual pipe and your individual preference. Try smoking it without the adaptor; you may be completely satisfied.

I have an Austrian pipe, a Kemperling, that takes a 9 mm filter. It smokes well without a filter, to me.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
The first pipe that I bought was a filter basket pipe. I have smoked it without an adapter with no problems.
jef

Reactions: yanoJL
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
A filter adaptor is just another thing to clean, most 9mm filter pipes smoke just fine without them. If they don't smoke ok the adaptor isn't going to help anyway.

Reactions: paulfg

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Thanx all for the replies . . .

My original post stemmed from my Rossi pipes. I did not care for the smoking experience with the filter and hence removed it. Smoking was better without the filter but flow through the stem should have been better than it was. On a whim, I inserted the accompanying adapter and, voila, the flow through the stem was better. The smoke was cooler and the pipe had less moisture at the end of the bowl. For me, the Rossi smoke experience is better with an adapter than without it.

Reactions: yanoJL
Howdy all . . . A quick question, do all new filtered pipes come with adapters?

I'm kicking around a new Peterson and/or Rattray with 9-mm filter capability.
If you don't want to use a filter pipe maybe just focus on non-filtered? There are so many more non-filtered than filtered in terms of selection/variety I would think you can find something to scratch that PAD itch ;)

Reactions: tirefire