PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
Here is a Fillenwarth pipe I call the buffalo. I spent some time as an adolescent working on a buffalo ranch. the shape, color, and texture remind me of those magnificent beasts. I hope you enjoy.
20170824_231741.jpg

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Your pipe has really nice lines. I also really love the texture and color. I am partial to rusticated sides with a natural finish on the top of the bowl.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The only thing that would put that pipe off the chains would be a horn stem, lovely lines.

banjo

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Yeah, a horn stem would suit it perfectly. I really see how the blast resembles a buffalo hide.great work !

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I am betting I can get a black true american bison stem crafted..... decisions decisions....

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
@alexnorth, I agree and I believe it even goes beyond that.the shape and blast remind me directly of a bison but also the shape is so similar to an actual bison's horns.
american_bison_k5680-1.jpg

20170825_001152.jpg

bison-horn.jpg

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I am betting I can get a black true american bison stem crafted..... decisions decisions....
The black part of the horn is actually a sheath that comes off, sort of like compacted hair and unfortunately not thick enough to make a stem. The underlying horn bleaches white with age like the skull does.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
prairiedruid- You are correct sir. I worked buffalo as a teenager. If I recall the very end is quite solid for roughly 1-2 inches.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I am also curious if I couldn't actually backfill another inch with stem material and use that to shape and fit a tenon..... hrrrrm.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
@sablebrush52... Shhhh. Don't let that get out. You're making it hard for me to keep getting good deals. ;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@sablebrush52... Shhhh. Don't let that get out. You're making it hard for me to keep getting good deals. ;)
LOL! C'mon, give poor Tony a break! He's got to sell pipes to feed his workshop. I own 6 of his pipes and all of them smoke very well. Two I commissioned from him. Buy Fillenwarth pipes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.