PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Here's how pipe tobacco will be most greatly impacted under the proposed regulations- any blend that was on the market prior to 2/15/07 will be grandfathered in and will be allowed to continue to be sold. Anything after that date would have to be submitted for testing and approval. The problem with that is it will cost many thousands of dollars PER BLEND for testing, so the most logical thing to do would be to stop production on all the new blends that have come out in the last seven+ years, and there would be few, if any, new products coming out in the future, because it would be economically unfeasible.

If the FDA would follow the recommendation of the Pipe Tobacco Council and use the guidelines to determine what is pipe tobacco and what is not, it wouldn't be necessary to remove any real pipe tobacco from the market. Attrition will become an issue, because, as companies disappear, so will their blends, permanently.

There are a number of reasons that we expect this to be a protracted process, but your comments to the FDA are important if we are to get them to moderate their proposals. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Russ

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Governance is market-driven. Always has been. It used to be a slow process, with the potential for careful and protracted consideration of ideas and events, before they rode roughshod.
But now we are in a world where there exists the ability to simultaneously test, shape, and twist public perceptions, to build opinion from whole cloth, and to do it so quickly that few catch the illusion. The political opinion machine has become so smooth and fast that it is damned near impossible to get hold of, let alone control.
As the political technology rockets us forward, it has plowed aside all obstacles, primarily individual liberty, in exchange for the promise of a bright and shiny future. Most of us have already accepted that bargain, outright or through acquiescence. The political opinion machine is taking us to dark and dangerous places, and there will be casualties along the road to this brave new world, but it will not be our place to question who, or why.
Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes;

Nothing of him that doth fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.
(Feeling a bit dark on this beautiful spring morning...)
-Woodsroad

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I hope everybody sees the signs and stocks up now. You can write mails to authorities until your fingers bleed, but a cellar, which is going to last you a life time, will let you sleep better. I have been cellaring up since some time and although it was not easy to free the financial means, I know, that I'm going to save a fortune in the future. Even if I stop smoking, I will be able to reclaim my investment with a lot of interest.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you try the link and the page doesn't come up, it will be because we have to do some site maintenance, do that page will be down, probably until Wednesday of next week. We'll send out an email explaining the situation, with a link that will bring you to the page.
Russ

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
thanks for posting it on P&C blendtobac. Hopefully the word spreads around the pipe community and everyone can send in their comments. I will be sure to let everyone know at my next pipe club meeting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.