PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
This really interesting. Because, you see, I have been living under a rock. Apparently. I never got the memo informing me that one was required to move from screen to screen in order to communicate with fellow beings. I have been on youtube many times, but only for a specific purpose, and never to look at pipe videos, which I didn't know were there, being under a rock and all. If I need info on tobaccos, I go to tobaccoreviews.com, then I look at the sample size, i.e. the number of reviewers, and if that number is below 10 I may just not bother. If 100 or 200 people have reviewed a tobacco, I will pay attention.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
This really interesting. Because, you see, I have been living under a rock. Apparently. I never got the memo informing me that one was required to move from screen to screen in order to communicate with fellow beings. I have been on youtube many times, but only for a specific purpose, and never to look at pipe videos, which I didn't know were there, being under a rock and all.

No requirement, it's just that YouTube is a handy tool for almost everything else, from home and auto repairs to the super slow motion ballistic of various objects (with the occasional hilarity of a millennial trying trying to launch bottle rockets from his rectum and forgetting not to clench). It just turns out no one has figured out the magic formula for doing tobacco reviews on YouTube in a way that works. Or at least in a way that doesn't make me want to put a railroad spike into my temple after about 4 minutes. So tobaccoreviews.com is king still.

Life can be good, under a rock!

Except when it's wet. Crotch rot.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
before i pull the trigger on a tin ive never tried i always research the different websites (smoking pipes, pipes and cigars, tobacco review etc) and get a feel for what everyone is saying. I then get to youtube and do a quick search. It never fails that i close out the window within a few seconds of almost every review. Now i dont have my own channel, so some could say "well if you think you can do better, then try", but man are most of the reveiws hard to sit through. I wish most of them would get to the point, its always a lot of breathing, looking away from the camera, telling us about their day, etc. maybe have the pipe lit or packed before your review. i dunno maybe im on an island here but most of them are insufferable.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I wish most of them would get to the point, its always a lot of breathing, looking away from the camera, telling us about their day, etc. maybe have the pipe lit or packed before your review. i dunno maybe im on an island here but most of them are insufferable.
This. Definitely.

I am OK with some off-topic comments given as context for the topic, but really, I don't wanna hear about your sustainably-harvested organic tea, how your work day went, or about your cat. Especially not about your cat.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I watch the pipe restoration channels.

“Bare Pipe” comes to mind immediately. I find his information, delivery, pacing and humor excellent. He works it all together to very patiently teach various pipe restoration topics. It’s a boon for a noobie restoration hobbyist like me.

There are other good restoration channels too, but without my subs in front of me I can’t remember them all.

Heads-up: YouTube is going to begin sweeping channel cancellations starting December 10th, 2019. From what I gather, if YT feels that a given channel isn’t appropriate for them to attach advertisements to, it’s slated for the chopping block.

And although we have an invaluable resource in Rebornpipes, I’m equally a visual learner, so when those “pipe smoking” channels get the axe (which no doubt will include the pipe restoration channels), it’s going to be unfortunate.
if this YTPC Channels liquidation' comes ever true, rumors are that they are about to launch an alternative, independent public access channel: The BRTV(BriarreportsTV)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think it's actually a deplatforming purge disguised as a marketability move. I really don't think they'll cancel Johnny Goodfornothing's spit competition channel or Potty Mouth's ganja video tips channel. They're going after the content they don't like nor want people to see. We know which content that is. Most of the inanity will remain.

It is still kinda worrisome for us, though, because tobacco is, you know, evil.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
if this YTPC Channels liquidation' comes ever true, rumors are that they are about to launch an alternative, independent public access channel: The BRTV(BriarreportsTV)

There are also other alternative video sites on the rise (such as bitchute for example) due to an already ongoing pattern by YT of selective deplatforming and demonetizing of targeted non-pc content, much of which is simply "alternative news" that dares to question and challenge the MSM cartel narrative..

They get away with it in the name of private business rights because it only targets content that it is socially/politically acceptable to discriminate against.

You can bet your bottom dollar that anything friendly to tobacco use is in that category.

I don't recall who said it, but:

"If you don't believe in freedom of expression for those you despise, then you don't believe in it at all."

Last edited:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
This. Definitely.

I am OK with some off-topic comments given as context for the topic, but really, I don't wanna hear about your sustainably-harvested organic tea, how your work day went, or about your cat. Especially not about your cat.

Agreed. And I definitely don't want to hear a 2 minute uninteresting story about the guy up the street from you turned into a 20 minute video while you smoke and look around your backyard. I mean seriously...its like story time at the Inbred Creek Library. I can't believe the government puts warning labels on tobacco's yet doesn't require cautionary labeling for this kind of video before you accidently click on it and quantumly lose years of your life in 20 minutes. I bet the suicide rate jumps 30% among viewers.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I enjoy some for the personality as much as their content. Bremen Pipe Smoker, I think, does a great video. I enjoy history. Muttonchop is a close 2nd because I have learned so much from him. Wish he had the time to do more videos as of late. There’s also a guy down here in Central a Florida, Iron Rails and Pipe Dreams, or better known as the Spaceman. I appreciate Andy’s videos because they are genuine and unfiltered. I don’t mean unfiltered as in vulgar or anything. I mean that what you see is what you get. He doesn’t try to put on like he’s making a Hollywood production. Just him at his kitchen table smoking pipes and cigars and talking about whatever. He’s the kinda guy I would like to hang out with and smoke a bowl or two with. And!...his rock and roll knowledge is second to none. He always has some good tunes going.

As for SaT, Bradley does great reviews. He’s technical and very informative. I have learned quite a bit from him. The only thing that bugs me about SaT is that I expect him to say , at any moment, “ We’re going to pause for 30 seconds for a word from Coca-Cola” or “ Now a word from our a sponsor.” “ Today’s SaT video is brought to you by Magnum Condoms.” The product placement wears on me. I can watch regular TV for that. I get it though. He’s a smart guy and making a few bucks here and there. Never hurts to catch the attention of the companies that can give you free stuff. And I have to admit, if I wasn’t so ugly and could speak well on camera, I’d do the same.

ok, enough of that crap. I’m off to watch some SaT videos. ?

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I regularly watch four different pipe smokers.
1. Bradly "Stuff and Things"
2. Mark "The Bremen Pipe Smoker "
3. Mike "Briar Blues"
4. Tom " NW Pipe Smoker"
And I found A new Fellow I have been watching recently his Videos on You-tube are really top notch! Gabriel "Old Hollywood Briar"
I used to watch Mutton Chops, But sadly he has vanished from You-tube.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
He doesn't really do reviews in the traditional sense but I like to watch Matches860 (RIP) while I smoke. He has a friendly tone and I feel like I'm just sitting back with a friend enjoying my pipe while they tell me a story or perhaps impart some wisdom. If I want reviews I'm usually checking out a particular blend to see if I want to buy. That being the case I'll go to tobacco reviews and read the outliers. Couple high and a couple low and then a few middle ground. That usually provides a decent screenshot of a tobacco for me.

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
The YTPC is a great group of people, and I enjoy it immensely. I don't pay a lot of attention to reviews because as Chasingembers pointed out, they are too subjective. However, to answer your question, I enjoy the camaraderie of the group like a virtual pipe club. Some I subscribe to are:
Matches860 (broken pipe)
Canerodpipes
The Artful Codger
2:00am Pipe On The Patio
Sgt Savinelli
Stuff and Things
Desert Pine Piper
Briar Blues
There are more commercial type channels:
Smokingpipes
Pipes and Cigars
Country Squire Radio

Happy piping!!

Reactions: marconi

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
One amendment to my previous post, I love the SmokingPipes mystery blend reviews. It is really interesting being a fly on the wall as three guys try to figure out what they are smoking based only on taste, cut, tin note, room note and what they know of the inquisitor. I'm actually kind of addicted to it right now...It really helps me to think critically about the blends I enjoy as well. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: Casual