PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All these newcomers mentioned are wonderful, and I listen to them much more than songwriters from the past, but just to balance the historical books, I'll nominate Verde, Stephen Foster, and Irving Berlin. With newbie awards to Bob Dylan, John Prine, Willie Nelson, John Lennon, and Leonard Cohen.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
All these newcomers mentioned are wonderful, and I listen to them much more than songwriters from the past, but just to balance the historical books, I'll nominate Verde, Stephen Foster, and Irving Berlin. With newbie awards to Bob Dylan, John Prine, Willie Nelson, John Lennon, and Leonard Cohen.

I thoroughly enjoy the latter few being mentioned as “newbies!”

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
All these newcomers mentioned are wonderful, and I listen to them much more than songwriters from the past, but just to balance the historical books
Newcomers ?.
From a historical perspective we should mention King David, after all, the Psalms were written as songs and although the instrumentation has been lost in time they are still popular and have certainly stood the test of time.

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
You know, Ive tried so many times to write this now. There are just too many. I will say, Jazz era the showtunes of George and Ira Gershwin are my favorites. Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein, Sondheim also great.

A few names that have not been mentioned yet (or I just didn't see): James Taylor, Elton John, Paul Hewson aka Bono, Eric Clapton.

Having just started listening to some country, it was a real treat to see Don Schlitz and Bill Anderson play The Gran Ole Opry in October when they just reopened. Also found Brandy Clark, who is quite a talented writer and singer in her own right.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Bob Dylan needs an asterisk by his name. I like some of his music, but the guy is a serial plagiarist. Ripped off his entire singing style and persona from Carter Stanley and Woodie Guthrie.

“Bob is not authentic at all. He’s a plagiarist, and his name and voice are fake. Everything about Bob is a deception.” -Joni Mitchell (2010)
Plagiarism is a pretty strong term to use in relation to singing style, persona, etc. Dylan made no secret of Guthrie being his hero, role model, or whatever such term you want to use. Nearly all music artists "borrow" styles from their various influences...and numerous of them have borrowed from Dylan.

His decades worth of songwriting is what matters. Many have had big hits by covering Dylan tunes.

As for Joni Mitchell, she's a great songwriter, but Dylan isn't the only fellow artist she's disparaged unfairly (she took some really cheap shots at Jackson Browne for example, that were total BS imo) so I'm not sure exactly what her trip is regarding all of that, but good thing she filled us all in that Dylan changed his name...who knew?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Plagiarism is a pretty strong term to use in relation to singing style, persona, etc. Dylan made no secret of Guthrie being his hero, role model, or whatever such term you want to use. Nearly all music artists "borrow" styles from their various influences...and numerous of them have borrowed from Dylan.

His decades worth of songwriting is what matters. Many have had big hits by covering Dylan tunes.

As for Joni Mitchell, she's a great songwriter, but Dylan isn't the only fellow artist she's disparaged unfairly (she took some really cheap shots at Jackson Browne for example, that were total BS imo) so I'm not sure exactly what her trip is regarding all of that, but good thing she filled us all in that Dylan changed his name...who knew?
As far as I know, Mitchell and Dylan are close friends both personally and professionally.
Although what she says is true on some levels, there is so much more to the story. She is blunt and outspoken sometimes, and the media jumps at such quotable outbursts.
Some years after she said those things, she actually went to Stockholm to accept the Nobel Prize on behalf of her friend, who for some reason couldn't or wouldn't make it.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Everyone is saying Lennon/ McCartney, but I think pound for pound, The Quiet Beatle was a much better songwriter. I challenge anyone to listen to All Things Must Pass, as a Beatles album, and rate it honestly.

Joe Walsh and Tom Petty tie for second. Very comparable to Carter Hall/ Prince Albert. And for the same reasons.

Number three, there's a big part of me that wants to say Kurt Cobain. Partly because I was 13 when the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit dropped and it was my Beatles on Sullivan or Elvis on [look up show before hitting post]. Partly to see who's heads explode at his name coming up.

But if I'm being honest with myself, I'd say Mark Knopfler, and rate him second. Brilliant lyricist as well as musician, with a unique style. Listen to the music in The Princess Bride. Or any Dire Straits album.

And I never saw the attraction to Bob Dylan. Ever. Maybe I had to be there?