PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willh

Lurker
Jul 16, 2010
Search isn't working all too well for me at the moment, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat post. At any rate, what's your favorite thing to do while smoking? I like to watch a movie or show, or read (books, forums, research papers... doesn't matter what).

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Will,

You about covered it... except maybe that "research paper" thing.

I've done my full measure of those.

However, I will surf the net from time to time to read up on a topic that piques my interest.
But, I suppose the top of the list would have to include a large mug of very hot, very strong Josephus Daniels and a good book, maybe a brandy on the side.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Not familiar with Josephus Daniels... I thought you were being coy, and really meant Jack Daniels (or John as some know him), but then I re-read that sentence.. hot JD? Ick. With a side of brandy? Must be something I've never seen before...
To answer the OP's question, I sit and think. Every now and then, have some coffee during my session or read a book (very rarely).
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Jason,
Josephus Daniels banned alcohol from United States Navy ships in General Order 99 of 1 June 1914. This led to the folk etymology that "cup of joe" (referring to a cup of coffee) derives from Daniels' name. (Wikipedia)
:)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ Pstlpker: I love facts like that. Thanks for posting.
I don't do much idle puffing while doing something else. I tend to set the time aside for smoking a pipe with a cup of strong black coffee, tasty adult beverage, iced tea, juice or just good ol' iced water. I love to walk and smoke, but Nova Scotia rarely provides you with a mild, dry and wind free day for such activities. Maybe I should get a wind cap or something. The one exception would be computer aided art. When I am manipulating photos and drawings at the computer I thoroughly enjoy smoking a pipe. Some how I am able to deeply concentrate on both at the same time. I have also been known to read while smoking, but I find there are times when the book demands my attention and the pipe is put down or when the pipe demands attention and the book is put down.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I like to sneak out back on the deck and listen to the song of the frogs . Also the wind talks in the tree tops . The smell of the pines and the oaks , carnation tree and the magnolia greet my sense of smell .And when I light my pipe I always thank God for his gifts .

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Watch something good on TV while having a cappucino (goes really well with aromatics). Or sit on the balcony and not do anything else at all except think and ponder the world.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Igloo you're my kinda guy. If I wasn't so far away I would invite myself to your tranquil back yard scene and smoke a bowl with you. My back yard is sandwiched between 3 houses so I have no majestic trees, but I have, with flower and vegetable gardens, created quite the tranquil pondering spot. You are welcome any time. Bring scotch.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Everyone is welcome on the deck and anything in my stash that strikes your fancy .[ see stash forum ]. You have to drink from a Mason jar and play ball with the Jack Russell , advanced notice for smoked ribs . The Woodlands Township ,Tx

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I read most of the time. If I'm not in the mood for reading I'll listen to music while playing online poker.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
mostly i just sit and enjoy the pipe--it's all outdoors on the deck, so there are numerous things natural to add to my pleasure and relaxation--

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
sit on my deck, listen to the Grateful Dead or some jazz on my Sirius radio, and just watch the clouds roll by....

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
I go on hikes up to the mountains by my house, and sit under a tree or on the rocks or whatever. Let's just say it's usually a long time before i get back home!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've been playing online poker Free Rolls lately and smoking 1Q, trying to qualify for a seat at the WSOP Main Event. I've been in two qualifiers so far against about 3000 players each.

I finished 23rd in both... at least I'm consistent.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.