PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
My favorite pipe is actually a recent addition to my collection, a 1990 (the year I started smoking pipes)Peterson Sherlock Holmes Squire. Its a large pipe, fits great in my hand, and has beautiful briar with NO FILLS! Its heavy, but is by far my greatest smoker. After a quick rehab, it looks new.
pipe1-2-600x450.jpg

pipe1-3-600x450.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Scott Thile's bent egg shape both smooth and blasted.
Not my style - but that is one gorgeous pipe nevertheless!
Mine keep changing. Right now I have several favorites, a Dunhill 835 ODB, a Peterson spigot and several others - too hard to choose. And now (thanks to Foggy) I have a Dunhill Bing, so perhaps right now that is my favorite. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have many great smokers but if I had to pick one it would be my first commissioned pipe that I got from Rad Davis. It was the first commission I had ever done and it opened my eyes to how much fun it is designing your own pipe and then watching the artisan come up his take on your design. This pipe is a a group 4 Dublin that is a flake smoking machine.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I love questions like this, they are so subjective. My favorite pipe to look at is a Ben Wade Regent from the 1980's with a lot of plateau. My favorite smoking pipe is an Estate Pete Grafton 999 with a 9mm filter. I like to smoke Virginias in it. The pipe with the best bit feel is a Pete Irish Harp 80s with a wide, flat bit, followed by an old Charatan Special pot with a thin comfort bit. I have a dozen pipes dedicated to particular tobaccos that simply sing when smoked. I wish I could narrow it down to one particular favorite. I am having a new bit made for my Dunhill, maybe that will be my favorite when it comes back. Who knows?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Harris that's gorgeous, that's very similar to what I'm thinking of having Michael Parks do for me later this summer. Currently my favourite is either my Rattray's Panel Billiard that my Son picked out or my Stanwell De Luxe (not a featherweight as it turns out) bent Dublin. I guess I'd have to go with the Rattray's as my little man picked it out for me and it has such a great story behind it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Harris, I may pester you before I go down the artisan commission route for some more advice, since I've only purchased factory made pipes to date. I'm excited to go down that road, I'm just afraid that all my other pipes including my current favourite will no longer feel worthy beside the Parks pipe.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
My go to pipe lately is a Mitchell Thomas short stubby nose-warmer. It cost me 27.95. I've got 18 other pipes in all price ranges but I just keep going to the little stubby. Go figure

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
I have an old Peterson system pipe extra-large that always gives me a good smoke. I call it the elephant though I don't know why. It just reminds me of one.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
The first pipe I got that wasn't a no-name of some sort, and the first I did alot of looking into before buying, was a Wellington that is by far still my favorite pipe. The system really works, and it's only competitor for better smoker is the real deal Pete. It's also small enough to clench easily and carry confortably, but offers a fairly long smoke for its size.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Mine is a tie between my Sav Roma 413ks- love the shape, rustication, and how it smokes...and my first pipe - a Sav Trevi 606. Not fancy, but feels just right in my hand, and its like an old friend.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
It's a close tie. I always find myself reaching for a Stefano Santambrogio or a Peterson Kinsale Oom-Paul Rhodesian.
stefano31-600x415.jpg

p6281759-600x450.jpg

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Bonaquisti bent billiard, it smokes cool, stays lit, makes me feel like I've learned something about pipes, even though that may not be all that accurate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Brian, there is a very real possibility that once you smoke your Parks, it will make the rest of your collection seem second tier, it happened to me. I bought my first Rad last August and now I have been slowly moving out all my other pipes and replacing them with nothing but artisan ones. My goal is to have nothing but artisan pipes with hand cut stems that smoke great. I am up to 22 artisan pipes and I still have 12 factory pipes. I will keep my one Castello but the other 11 are going to be moved out. There is nothing wrong with my factory pipes, they all smoke very well and they are all high quality, but I am spoiled now and I have to force myself to smoke them. For example, I have an Ashton Pebble Grain Dublin that is a Bill Taylor, it has a great blast and when I got it I loved it and smoked it a lot. Now because of the stem design, I find it to be uncomfortable and rarely reach for it. It smokes flakes really well, but my teeth have gotten used to a hand cut stem made out of vulcanite and it has become hard to clench for me. There is nothing wrong with the pipe it is me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't pick just one pipe, but there are several that I find myself reaching for more often than many others. One is an Ehrlich billiard that I picked up for $2 on ebay. With all the other pipes that I've bought or commissioned, some costing a couple hundred times that amount or more, it continues to deliver a very pleasant sweet and smooth smoke. Another is a Preben Holm reject, a massive freehand that just sings. And a third would be a large Pre-Transition Barling pot shaped quaint that also smokes extremely smooth and sweet. There are others that that provide a superior experience for me, but that's enough for now.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
My favorite is one of the first pipes I bought off of Ebay. It is a Stanwell. This is my go to pipe. Fits me like a glove. The military mount is a plus for me.

Stanwellcantedegg835.jpg
[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.