PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My uncle who was more like a grandpa to me while I was growing up was the one who got me into pipe smoking. The whole time I knew him, he had "his" chair. It was Uncle Jim's chair. It was the most comfortable chair and he had a table next to it with all his pipes lined up. Its where he sat and smoked his pipes or cigars and watched TV and read. When ever he got up, one or more of us kids would jump in it and when he got back, we got a pants warming - which meant we were picked up and tossed on the couch and tickled. While one of us was getting tossed, another one of my siblings or cousins would jump in his chair and the whole thing would start all over until he had 3 or 4 of us pinned down giggling and promising not to jump in his chair any more.
Recently, I dragged an old comfy chair out of the basement on to our screened in porch and made my own chair. My wife got me some baskets to put my P&T's in and another one to hold my pipe stuff. So lately, my favorite thing to do while smoking is to sit in my chair and smoke my pipe and read or watch TV. And if either of my kids jumps in my chair, they get a pants warming.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I like smoking while at the golf range, or reading on my patio. Oh yeah, I forgot skydiving :}-~

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
sex :)
seriously, it is sitting on the deck with the headphones on listening to music from the iPod.
also taking the boat out and doing some low key fishing by myself.
once I get the dirt bike plated for street use, it will be nice to go way off-road and find a place to rest and take a puff or two.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
for me? reading or sitting there contimplating the destiny of mankind.
oh, i also give thanks to G_d for the gift of pipe and tobacco.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I sit on the porch and stare down at Great American ballpark while I listen to the broadcast and keep my own score sheet sometimes. Most times I just like to be alone and quiet.

rbergum95

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
for the most part my favorite thing to do while smoking a pipe is to sit around the local pipe shop with the guys and complain about the state of the world, taxes, politics, and of course discuss various tobaccos, cigars, alcohol and pipe makers.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
For me reading a book or watching a good movie. Been watching the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series and that has encouraged a good bit of pipe smoking in me of late.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
For me reading a book or watching a good movie. Been watching the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series and that has encouraged a good bit of pipe smoking in me of late.
Great choice in quality TV Thom.

Lately I have been reading and practicing Chess tactics.

The pipe affords a calm clarity of thought that goes well with the analysis of Chess strategy.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Lawrence, have you been watching the Brett series on NetFlix ? Netflix was worth it's price imo, just to watch those series. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Return Of Sherlock Holmes, and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. I was bummed out when I had seen the last one. It is a great period for gentlemen. I love the horses, too.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
One pastime I am enjoying recently is walking through public places, with a cool pipe, and a good smelling blend, and watching the peoples puzzled expressions, and smiles. Most people, still expect to see a very old gent with a pipe. I enjoy spreading the word, that pipes are for everyone.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Me to dunedain didnt want it to end. I watched all the series now i watched the last movie last night. Brett managed to act just like the Sherlock Holmes i had imagined when reading the books and i really didnt want it to be over with so soon.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Yeah Brett was great, and in the last few movies he was terribly ill. He was a trooper. He also is a tough act to follow.

Jun 21, 2010
I like to read while smoking the briar, and I have a new bird feeder which the birds seem to ignore....or I could say also that I watch birds....now I just watch FOR birds.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I love to read or watch movies but my favorite thing to do is watch nature especially at night especially when the crickets are chirping.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I love to read or watch movies but my favorite thing to do is watch nature especially at night especially when the crickets are chirping.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I like to sit at night and just soak in the peace. Unfortunately, it's getting cold, so now I tend to sit in my room and smoke while on the forums, or while playing some sort of video games with buddies. What? I think a pipe and video games actually can go well together!

Status
Not open for further replies.