PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There will be clones available soon for both Sugar Barrel and Walnut. We should see both of them soon.
Russ
You just made my Monday so much better, Mr. Ouelette! Thank you, sir, thank you, thank you! :D

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
And I will smoke a bowl of Mixture 79 every 6 months or so and find it most enjoyable...
So you're the one who purchases it and smokes it! lol

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I tried it once about 30+ years ago, and never again. To paraphrase one persons review which was so aptly put: 'If you've ever wanted to see what it's like to smoke a urinal cake, here is your chance'. Then again, I feel the same way about Lakeland blends and I would not smoke that tobacco again if it were the only one to be had. But, that's just my opinion and nothing more.
One mentioned that SWR had a somewhat 'chemical' taste to it and I found the same thing to be true. That was something else I tried many years ago and found it tolerable at the time, but such is not the case now and, as I mentioned earlier, the same applies now. As for Half & Half I've always considered that as a RYO tobacco, and a very poor one at that, much less stuffing it into a pipe. Carter Hall seems to be the most popular OTC baccy but for some reason it just totally turns me off and leaves me cold. The only OTC tobacco that I smoke on occasion and enjoy is PA considering that I no longer enjoy aro's or smoke them (except when my daughter and granddaughter are over). But hey... taste is an individual and personal thing and thank God we are not all alike! :wink:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I can't smoke OTCs. I've tried them all and after finding tins and bulk from online retailers I can't go back. Last time I tried CBW I was disappointed from the last time I had tried it.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Prince Albert and Carter Hall are probably my two favorite OTC blends. However, like cmdrmcbragg, since buying tins and bulk from online retailers as well as from the occasional cigar and pipe tobacco shop, I have a harder time going back to the OTC blends as they just don't seem to have the flavor or enjoyment that I get out of the tin and bulk blends.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
My favorite of the OTCs that I've tried is Walnut, a light English, American style. It has been discontinued just like Sugar Barrel, so if you see one anywhere you might want to grab ahold of it, if you like light English blends.
The B&M I found the Sugar Barrel also had a tub of Walnut too. PM if you want the name of the place where I saw it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm a little confused as to why Newbroom couldn't find reviews for SWR at TobaccoReviews.com. Here's the link:

I went to the 'browse' page listing alphabetically. It doesn't list SWR there. I may have inadvertently reached that page a few weeks ago, however, (the one you linked)..and ordered my can of SWR as a result of having read reviews of OTC tobacco from anywhere I could find.

Now, having enjoyed that and also some LuxBullsEye and a PS aromatic...I'm curious about other flavors, tastes, smells, and textures. I'm planning to acquire some JackKnife Plug (Virginia?) and some kind of latakiva (smoke cured blended w/Orientals?), and I've yet to acquire the ubiquitous vanilla aromatic.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you wish to give a Latakia blend a try I highly recommend Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River. A fantastic tobacco, and this is coming from someone who can't stand Latakia! Stuff some of that in a cob and your in pipe heaven.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
Favorite OTC is definitely Captain Black in the white pouch, which is pretty much Lane 1Q in bulk. I usually buy tinned tobaccos otherwise I have to dry the tobacco a lot before I smoke it. To me if I dry my tobacco till it's almost crunchy it stays lit better and doesn't scorch my tounge.
Travis

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@dieseltech, try Lane RLP-6 and tell me which one is more like CBW: 1Q or RLP. The RLP tastes damn near just like CBW without the chemical/GP taste.
@newbroom, just grab a pouch of SWR (Sir Walter Raleigh), they're very cheap, and find out for yourself. I think it's just another burley blend, which I don't care for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Carter-Hall has the least processed flavor, to me, with Prince Albert a close second. Straightforward

and good. I have a sentimental attachment to Granger, which was my dad's forever smoke, though

the Wellman's Process makes it last forever, which is good, but not so good. For a nice bulk alternative,

all burley, Lanes Burley Without Bite is nice and good for mixing with other tobaccos. However, C&D

offers so many exciting burley blends, it's hard to pack OTC's these days with the same relish, and

the C&D bulk burleys are on sale this month (July 2014) at smokingpipes.com. I think Old Joe Krantz

is a fine burley blend, plenty of flavor, decided nicotine, and a really fine demonstration of blending with

burley. For an uptown burley smoke, GLP does good things with Triple Play. Know your own taste buds,

though; many people don't taste burley, or what they taste isn't good. So if that's you, just leave it alone.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
There will be clones available soon for both Sugar Barrel and Walnut. We should see both of them soon.

Good to here Russ! Thank you for the info! If its a close match the SB may be the first auto deliver baccy I order.

Status
Not open for further replies.