Middleton Cherry
Prince Albert Soft Vanilla
Captain Black Dark
Captain Black Grape
Mixture 79

Reactions: Pipelady20
Jun 9, 2018
England
None of those are available in the UK let alone OTC, so I voted other. If UK OTC blends were in the mix I'd choose either St Bruno Flake or Walnut Flake.

To be honest the range of OTC blends is pretty small in the UK now. As well as the two I mentioned there's Condor, Clan, Mellow Virginia and Gold Block, that's about it.

PipesAndCigarsInFrance

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2020
France
None of those are available in the UK let alone OTC, so I voted other. If UK OTC blends were in the mix I'd choose either St Bruno Flake or Walnut Flake.

To be honest the range of OTC blends is pretty small in the UK now. As well as the two I mentioned there's Condor, Clan, Mellow Virginia and Gold Block, that's about it.

I know, it is a shame isn't it! Smoking Clan now///only stuff I can get here at the moment. Definitly not a favourite

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
SWR and SWRA are really tasty and, imho, could be tinned products. They are every bit as good quality as any tinned burley or aromatic. Prince Albert is just a good ol basic, somewhat generic, comfort smoke. It's what I think of when I think "old school pipe smoke". I think every red blooded American pipe smoker oughta sacrifice that treefiddy and try a pouch or else forever wear a tiara and tuxedo when smoking so everyone else can tell they're in the presence of a certified fancy pants.
CB is soaked in chemicals, and it tastes like it too. I liked Carter Hall at first, but now all I taste is hot air and cardboard. No offense to CH lovers, but it kinda strikes me as PA light. And PA is plenty light enough already.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I bet if they did tin SWR that sales would go up, particularly for collecting or perhaps pretention. But I wouldn't knock it either way.

SWR and SWRA are really tasty and, imho, could be tinned products. They are every bit as good quality as any tinned burley or aromatic. Prince Albert is just a good ol basic, somewhat generic, comfort smoke. It's what I think of when I think "old school pipe smoke". I think every red blooded American pipe smoker oughta sacrifice that treefiddy and try a pouch or else forever wear a tiara and tuxedo when smoking so everyone else can tell they're in the presence of a certified fancy pants.
CB is soaked in chemicals, and it tastes like it too. I liked Carter Hall at first, but now all I taste is hot air and cardboard. No offense to CH lovers, but it kinda strikes me as PA light. And PA is plenty light enough already.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've only tried Carter Hall and Half & Half from that list.

The Carter Hall because didimauw made me and the Half & Half because I vaguely remember trying to roll and smoke some as a kid.

The Half & Half pouch laid around here until I got tired of looking at it and discarded it. The Carter Hall, I finished and decided I liked it and may buy more in the future.

I'm not sure if Amphora falls "officially" into the OTC category, but the one I tried (Burley Blend) would be my choice of pouch tobacco.

For you subjects of the Queen, I recall fondly the pouch of John Bull Royal English I had. A very acceptable English blend, IMO.

1589051195960.png

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
For those who want to try either Carter Hall, Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh, I'd suggest you try it from the tub versus the pouch. They taste a whole lot better from the tub, trust me. My suggestion is aimed at those who tried the blends from the pouch for the first time and seemed to like them. For first timers I'd recommend the pouch to at least give you an idea of what the blends are like. No sense on paying extra for a tub and find out you have no interest whatsoever in the blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.