SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I use to prefer the traditional Irish cut but have gravitated to the Scottish cut which cooks in 10mins or so and has a creamy yet chewy mouth experience. Steel cut is trash and I will never go back to that unless I'm conscripted or something.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Can't stand oatmeal the texture and taste are revolting. Kind of like that paste we used to use in elementary school -- the white stuff that had a spreading stick attached to the cap. Yuck. No amount of fruit, sugar or spices can rescue oatmeal, unless of course it's baked into a cookie. :)

Reactions: kcghost
Can't stand oatmeal the texture and taste are revolting. Kind of like that paste we used to use in elementary school -- the white stuff that had a spreading stick attached to the cap. Yuck. No amount of fruit, sugar or spices can rescue oatmeal, unless of course it's baked into a cookie. :)
Yeh, it is just a tad better than cream of wheat, but comes in just under lawn clippings for me. I'm amazed how some things have stayed in our food choices for so long.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to put dry oatmeal and chew on it and wash down as we hike. It was just to fill the stomach until we get off the trail and get to nearest Bojangles for some proper steak biscuit.

Now I don't hike, I miss oatmeal occasionally. Old Fashion or something like that. Usually soak it in water for 10 min then nuke the hell out of it. I like mine creamy and savory. Meaning I add garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt along with chunk of butter.

Reactions: Grangerous

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't eat enough oatmeal. From my days of shopping in person, I don't recall having such a selection of cuts. It was more, do you want instant or whatever else was offered. But now I'd try Scotch cut, or Irish for that matter, if I saw it offered. I'm stuck in a toast and bacon ritual for breakfast, but oatmeal might make a good alternative or a quick lunch.

Oatmeal is supposed to be a good preventative for high cholesterol as well as good fiber.

Being snarky, the English scholar and writer, Dr. Samuel Johnson, in his dictionary said (and I paraphrase): Oats are a grain fed to horses and eaten by the Irish.

As a child, I had an aversion to oatmeal and canned corned beef, solely because my parent pushed them a little. Since they pushed very few foods, I was happy with nearly all vegetables and other foods kids avoid. Eventually, both oatmeal and corned beef (even canned) proved acceptable, especially if the weather was cold and I was hungry.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Steel cut Scotch.

At bedtime we throw the oats into the rice cooker which has a porridge cycle and a timer. It’s set to finish cooking just as we get up. A great way to start the day when it’s cold and blustery. Not the least bit pasty or sticky.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Whatever is in the little Quaker Oats packets - plus milk and brown sugar - it's not that I dislike it, and it's good for me, but like this morning I often get out a packet and look at it and put it back and decide I'll just have coffee or grab the Raisin Bran or fry up a couple eggs and sausage. Somewhat irregular about being regular.

Reactions: scloyd

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
Irish oats (aka steel cut). I find they have a deep, rich, mildly nutty flavor, with hints of earth and some whispy notes of wheat berry. They won’t bite unless you fail to let them cool after cooking. Ideally I take them with a pinch of salt, butter, pecans or walnuts, brown sugar and heavy cream.

Reactions: edger