PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
With all due respect to shanez, I think there's more than cut that defines a modern Navy Flake. I believe that the definition is murky, as it seems to vary from one producer to another. My reading of the article differs from shanez's. I think the point Chuck was making was that flake tobacco made pipe smoking more practical for seamen and that there is a long history of pipe smoking being associated with the sea. As a result, maritime-related names have been very common for pipe tobacco. Carl Ehwa's excellent The Book of Pipes and Tobacco, makes no mention of "Navy" when listing the various cuts of tobacco.

I don't recall ever seeing a Latakia Flake referred to as a Navy Flake, yet the cut is the same as any Navy flake, so I believe a Navy Flake has come to mean a simpler, lightly cased and optionally rum-flavored, primarily Virginia-based flake.

I too like the Mac Baren Navy Flake, but slightly prefer the 4th Generation 1931, which I believe is virtually identical, but possibly with higher quality tobacco. Both of these are more strongly topped than Capstan Blue, Samuel Gawith Navy Flake, or Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think there's more than cut that defines a modern Navy Flake
Nope

I don't recall ever seeing a Latakia Flake referred to as a Navy Flake,
This one is blatantly called Navy Flake and has Latakia.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Carl Ehwa's excellent The Book of Pipes and Tobacco, makes no mention of "Navy" when listing the various cuts of tobacco.
The same book only lists one way of packing a pipe. Of all the different cuts of tobacco, filling isn't one size fits all and folding and stuffing, which isn't new by any means isn't even mentioned. It's possible that the term Navy cut wasn't familiar to him.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I also always thought a navy flake should have a addition of rum which was wrong, it adds a little to the "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" seaman theme, so this might be reason why manufacturers still refer a bit to it.

I like MB Navy Flake, but only when its dryer than bone dry. The tin I smoked reached that status only after about 6 months of being open. Fresh opened tin I would really let the flake dry overnight.