PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke an average of a bowl a day, and I usually don't start until after noon, so the first bowl is sometimes the last. Some days I'll smoke a second, and if I'm living large, I may hit four, but other days, or even stretches of days, I'll get busy and not smoke at all. Hence, my first pipe of the day can be anything -- from mild sweet single leaf Virginia to a nic truck load of heavy duty burley.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like starting my day with burley in a cob. Since I am usually on the forum first early in the day, those of you who watch the "What Are You Smoking?" threads will have observed this. I keep the following in rotation for this first bowl of the day.
  • Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
  • Amphora Original or Amphora Burley
  • Mac Baren Golden Extra
  • Lane Ready Rubbed

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I usually smoke first thing in the morning, mostly to address my nicotine addiction. So I'm pretty eclectic as to what I smoke. However, recently, I've been really liking my first smoke to be Peterson (Dunhill) Elizabethan Mixture in my Old Dominion Jamestown Clay. It is the perfect size for a quick, but pleasurable smoke, in my usual rush to get ready for work.

After that I usually smoke on the way to work, almost always a light English. These days I've been favoring Cobblestone Queen, and Cobblestone Pawn from their Chess Series. Bishop is pretty good too. I should probably write some reviews for them.

Last edited:

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’ll have to go against the tide here. I can very rarely smoke anything until after lunch. Nothing is appetizing to me in the morning. I very rarely have breakfast other than a glass of cold water and a cup of coffee. I don’t usually start having an appetite until around 1130-1200. Once I get lunch out of the way, I like to start things off with a good Virginia flake. The day gets darker and/or smokier from there.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I usually smoke first thing in the morning, mostly to address my nicotine addiction. So I'm pretty eclectic as to what I smoke. However, recently, I've been really liking my first smoke to be Peterson (Dunhill) Elizabethan Mixture in my Old Dominion Jamestown Clay. It is the perfect size for a quick, but pleasurable smoke, in my usual rush to get ready for work.

After that I usually smoke on the way to work, almost always a light English. These days I've been favoring Cobblestone Queen, and Cobblestone Pawn from their Chess Series. Bishop is pretty good too. I should probably write some reviews for them.
@AKinser79 I've just received 2x Jamestown clays from Smokingpipes.com; I'll have to try the Elizabethan Mixture in one of them. Going to smoke one of my clays and keep the other pristine and unsmoked; I think it's a shame to smoke a new clean white pipe!!!

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I can understand why one would consider it a shame to smoke a new, clean, white pipe. Once it is smoked, no matter what one does it will never be in that new, clean and brilliant white form ever again. That being said I buy my pipes to smoke them, I like to think that being smoked makes the pipes happy (even though they are inanimate). Also I'm strangely fascinated by how clays slowly take on color as they are smoked over time. Granted it is nowhere nearly as pretty as when meerschaum develops its patina. But I accepted long ago that I'm weird a little eccentric.

Elizabethan Mixture is a VA/Perique blend, with a ribbon cut. I buy it fairly regularly and have smoked it for years. Given that I've smoked it since the late 90s I'm wary of writing a review as I'm likely very biased by this point. Though another blend I like in clays is G. L. Pease's Penny Farthing which is a shag cut Va/Per.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Like the OP, my favorite pipe is the first of the day. Living in the Atlantic coast, I’m up early and greet the sun most mornings this time of year. While I haven’t participated in WAYS thread for the past month or so, I pretty much post immediately before or after @judcole and chuckle at how similar our patterns are. For me, a toasty light english is nearly always how I start my 2-3 bowl day. G.L. Pease Piccadilly or Ashbury, Presbyterian, C&D Good Morning or Star of the East Gold or lately Hearthside are regulars in the first pipe rotation. I’m up late today and finishing a bowl of Epiphany / which is a little too nic strong for my first pipe - but tastes great with the coffee.