PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Although I have been smoking a pipe for more than 40 years, I have only recently made it a daily ritual. In that regard, I have narrowed down my favorite English/Balkan blends to the following five and am curious what others may be smoking in this area that I may not have tried. Perhaps looking at the list would give folks an idea of what I seem to enjoy. Here are the five blends in order of preference, although truth be told, each is on top of the list depending on whether I want to have a Nic buzz after smoking one bowl, or intend to be smoking all day. Here goes:
1. Lancer's Slices - for my main Lat urge

2. Penzance - best, all around, cool smoke

3. Nightcap - major, one bowl, Nic buzz for me

4. Gaslight - easiest for me to smoke all day but least satisfying if only smoking one bowl

5. Blue Mountain - admittedly different and smoked when I want something almost aromatic (but not really)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not convinced that lists like this do anyone any good, since we all have different preferences and palates. And yet I can't keep myself from playing along!
Esoterica Penzance

Dan Tobacco London Blend #1000

Balkan Sobranie (current version)

GL Pease Caravan
Can't pick a 5th place; I think I have about at least 10 blends in mind that are all vying for a spot: Gordon Pym, Esoterica Margate and And So to Bed, McClelland Yenidje Highlander, Rattray 3 Noggins and Black Mallory, Brebbia Preludio Mixture No. 60, GL Pease Westminster, Dunhill London Mixture, Robert Lewis Tree Mixture and 123 Mixture, Frog Morton Across the Pond. . . and that covers almost all of the English/Balkan blends in my cellar!
Bob

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well, here's my current list;
1) McClelland Blue Mountain

2) Butera Pelican

3) Hearth & Home Black House

4) Sam Gawith Balkan Flake

5) Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Ah, what the heck...
1. GLP Gaslight

2. GLP Chelsea Morning

3. GLP Maltese Falcon

4. Dunhill Durbar

5. GLP Westminster
Never thought about it before, but guess I like Greg's blends!
Andy

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Andy:
I'm amazed that Durbar has already found a place in your top 5! Didn't you just discover it -- thanks to the recent re-release in the UK? Quite an endorsement.
Bob

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
With the caveat that this may change, as I still have lots "heavy hitter" english blends I've yet to try in stock. (ie. GLP Gaslight, Chelsea Morning, and NightCap to name a few) I'm on a all things VA blend kick right now, mostly becuse I prefer Latakia when it's much cooler out.
Anywhoo, Here's my top 5 thus far.
1 - SPC - Plum Pudding
*** I'm leaving a space here on purpose ***
2 - Dunhill - MM 965

3 - MacBaren - HH Vintage Syrian

4 - Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe

5 - PS - English Oriental Supreme

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
This is great. Please keep them coming. And, to reply to an earlier post, although we all have different tastes, the lists are still helpful for just that reason. For example, I see some lists with blends that I do not like. I know that perhaps other blends on the same list I too might not like. On the other hand, if someone has some of the blends I do like on his/her list and others on the list I have not yet tried, that might be a good source to find new blends.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
BOB - You're right, but one of the difficulties with these lists is the lack of context. In my case, it was easy to choose my top 5 English blends as I've only smoked about 10-12 and only own 8. If one leaves out those such as C&D Drive Time, Nightcap and GLP Blackpoint which I own and enjoy but find I don't smoke very often, you've got my top 5!
I very much prefer tobacco with a natural sweetness, so tend to smoke VaPers. Durbar gets in because although it has - for me - a kick like a mule, I really like the taste. I've found myself going back-to-back with it a few times. The new Durbar is an English with a real sweetness which I enjoy, so based on my limited knowledge, it goes into the list. I like what I like, which is also why I've given up on reviews!
Andy

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm afraid I'm side-tracking this thread, but. . .
Andy wrote:
"Durbar gets in because although it has - for me - a kick like a mule, I really like the taste. I've found myself going back-to-back with it a few times. The new Durbar is an English with a real sweetness which I enjoy,"
This is interesting. I'm very sensitive to nicotine, and the earlier version of Durbar (circa 1999) was what I'd call "moderate" in that regard. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I did note at the time that it couldn't be an all-day blend for me. However, I'm not certain if it contained any latakia at all. I was smoking it in my Balkan pipes (which I also use for oriental and oriental-forward blends), so any latakia I tasted may have been from a previous blend. It certainly didn't "present" like a traditional English, though. And I didn't notice latakia enough to be certain there was any in the blend.
I will say, though, that a 1999 tin of Durbar blessed me with one of the most transcendent smoking experiences I've ever had.
Bob

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
From Tobaccoreviews.com - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/8019/dunhill-durbar-remake-released-2014
Brand: Dunhill

Manufactured By: Scandinavian Tobacco Group

Blend Type: English

Contents: Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

Flavoring: None
I have to say that the guy who reviewed it yesterday doesn't seem to be a fan, but it works for me! I agree that Durbar definitely doesn't 'present' like a traditional English, but it's the crossover mix of English with sweet Virginia that I've picked up on and enjoy. I'm definitely going to go for the 'transcendent' experience!
Andy

I've just started exploring Balkans, so take my list as you want...
But, I started with GLP's Ashbury, because I was exploring his Fog City Selections, and it was the first latakia that I liked.
I then gave H&H's Whiteknight a try, and I found it delightful.

I've only had a few bowls of GLP's Caravan a try, and I've liked them so far as well.

McConnell's Oriental seems to be in this genre, IMO. I started off hating this blend, but then after trying the others found it much more interesting.

And, I've just had my first bowl of Nightcap last night, but it seems promising.
I'm enjoying everyone else's post here on this, because it gives me more blends to try out later.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
If it'll help. Though I must admit that I have a different version of this list for every time I've answered the same question.

1. Dunhill Nightcap. First lat blend I really liked.

2. Dunhill 965. Balanced, excellent as an all day blend.

3. SG Squadron Leader. It's odd, but I love it.

4. GLP Westminster. Perfect rich, straightforward blend with plenty of body.

5. Dunhill EMP. Not considered an English by all, but it has just a hint of Lat, and is perfect for my taste since I've found I'm not a huge fan of VA or VA/Per and this is all I need for a VA forward morning/hot weather smoke.

For the most part, I think I've also settled on this list as my constant on-hand blends.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'll play:
1. Olaf's Favourite English (can't get it in the US)

2. GLP Abingdon. Full bodied Balkan, but smooth enough for all day.

3. Dunhill Nightcap. Rich and smooth, but mine's mixed with an unknown percentage of 965.

4. Altadis Fox & Hound. Inexpensive, entry level English, good for aro smokers.

5. McClelland Blue Mountain. Different, but I like it as a change of pace.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
C&D's Star of the East

Dunhill Nightcap

Lanes Crown Acheivment

GL Pease Gaslght

Dunhill 965
My current top 5 in the genre.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I like many English blends, but the two favorites that have remained major and regular parts of my smoking regime are H&H Magnum Opus and Nightcap. MO is a particular fave -- just a perfect English with incredible balance and complexity, that great, old fashion, men's library smoke redolent of a old Victorian library full of leather bound volumes. But Nightcap's richness and liberal dose of Perique is wonderful, too. I especially love that in a Meer.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I can't believe Germain Special Latakia Flake isn't on this list already. I typically don't care for English blends but this one is incredible. Of course, everyone knows Penzance is good.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It looks like GLP and Dunhill are gettin' all the love. lol
I really like Russ's English / Balkan blends:
Magnum Opus

Black House

Beverwyck

Ambassador's Blend

WhiteKnight
I have not cracked open the Gaslight yet so ... we'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.