PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first began smoking a pipe, I was into large sized bowls ODA's and bigger. I then progressed into liking a little smaller pipes that were large group 6's. When I came back to my pipes this May, I bought some pipes that were large 6's and a couple of smaller 6's. I then began collecting some British pipes and they were all either large 5's or regular 5's, except for my two Ferndowns that are group 6. I am now really liking my group 5's and am going to focus on buying that size for a bit. I have found that for flakes, group 5's are best suited to me. I have also become enamored with lighter pipes in the 40-55 gram range. They are so much easier for clenching and I find myself clenching more than I ever have. I still smoke my larger pipes, but I find myself reaching for my smaller and lighter ones more often. So what sizes do you guys like and have any of you changed sizes along your journey?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Cigrmaster, I have the impression you own many more pipes than I do, so not sure my opinion counts too much as I don't have that many pipes; but right now most of my bowls run on the small size (prob size 3-4). I don't mind the smaller bowls as I never have that much uninterrupted time. So a short break works well for me right now.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Where can I find a chart that explains the group sizes? I like larger bowls. My Peterson system 307 is probably my favorite size bowl but I don't know what group that is considered to be in

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
6, it doesn't matter how many pipes you have, I am interested in what you like and why which you explained. I find it It interesting that we all started somewhere and that some of the people with more experience may have changed along the way. I am of the belief that whatever works for you is the perfect size. We all have such a variety of tastes which makes the discussion of them more fun.
gunnar, the place I would look for the sizes is a Dunhill dealer. Go to smokingpipes.com and look at all their Dunhills ,because they give all the dimensions to determine sizes.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I prefer large size. i fill the bowl full and sometimes i smoke it all sometimes i come back to it later. and even if i dont, i dont buy high end tobacco (at least i dont think i do) mostly 1Q and peterson tins. so if i waste half a bowl, oh well. i dont sweat it. now i do have a few small pipes which i love for specific purposes. i will load one of my small pipes, probably a 2 or 3 (just guessing as i have no clue on sizes) and smoke while i grill out. its a perfect 15 min smoke. my hackert is my favorite and that sucker is HUGE! i could smoke the bowl for an hour, and still throw out baccy at the end

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I started out with pipes that tended to lean toward a larger group 5(in those by-gone days when you could smoke indoors in most public facilities). Now I seem to have acquired more pipes in the group 3 to 4 range since they are more practical when I am on the go or I have to go outside to enjoy a smoke.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I prefer a large size bowl.. I like to sit down and relax after work with a nice drink, my pipe, and either a little TV or surfing the forum. I have a few smaller size bowls for sampling new blends or for work. Most of my pipes are either freehands or estates which are from the 70's era with the bigger bowls. Something about lazily puffing away for an hour or more just seems to make me calm..

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I am in the group 3 to 5 range. Used to smoke big pipes but prefer this range now. I can get 45-60 minutes out of a group 4. Weight is the biggest factor for me now, so my pipes are all in the 45g range.
I have seen that most pipe smokers start with large pipes but eventually end up moving down to the group 4-5 range eventually. Of all the pipe smokers I know, not many have stuck with large pipes as a rule.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mr English, I agree with you on the weight, I have been buying pipes based on that as well. I think I am getting ready to sell a bunch of my larger pipes. I just don't reach for them anymore. My smaller pipes smoke my flakes so much better. I do like the occasional aromatic in the larger bowls for some reason.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
I'm still quite partial to the size 63:

aXL23a.jpg

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I cannot get my head round the group sizes it all seems very vague.
I prefer larger bowls for 1792 (4cm deep 2cm across) and smaller bowls )3cm deep just under 2cm across) for Aromatics and Squadron leader.
So i would guess it would be Larger bowls for cooler smoking tobacco and smaller bowls for the warmer stuff

I would put this down to my current smoking technique or lack of it :)

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
I think sixmp is on to something!
Do you prefer different dimensions for different types of tobacco e.g. English blends, Aromatics, Virginias/Vapers, others? I think the relative dimensions has a larger impact than the volume of the bowl (=bowl size).
I prefer:
- A narrow, deeep bowl with thick walls for Virginia/Vapers

- A wide, low bowl for Aromatics

- Somewhere in between for English blends
Is it just me? :puffy:

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
I tend to prefer mine on the larger side. For clenching, they're typically 5's as best I can tell from searching for what the group sizing means (Peterson XL's). For sitting and relaxing, they're 6's and larger. I've got a Boswell Jumbo and a Boswell "Baby Grizzly" (Jumbo XXX) that are wonderful. The XXX might look a little funny, but it lasts 1.5-2 hours, smokes cool, draws amazingly, and gives an all-around great smoking experience.

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
I like my smaller light weight pipes. Im out and about mostly and never reqlly hav more than 30-60 minites at a time to relax.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
The only number bowl I have is a Peterson Emerald #6. I like it size wise. I was going to say 3/4' With thick walls, but I don't think that's what Cigrmaster had in mind. I guess I don't own enough big brand pipes to know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.