Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I am mostly a Scotch and/or beer drinker, but I don't drink often any more, and when I do it could well be in a bar that doesn't permit smoking. But, the following are good with a pipe: whiskey (any kind), beer, Meyer's rum, Pernod or Ricard & water. The Pernod is good to restore a tired tongue.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Bourbon generally works well, especially in the 100 proof range. Helps clear the palate. Plus it makes it incredibly obvious that you're starting to get tongue bite. "Fighting Cock" has been my bourbon of choice lately, as my fun money budget is now split between whiskey and tobacco.
As far as beers go, good dark malty beers tend to go well with my normal rotation. Found a fantastic "local" (actually from Ipswitch, but still in the same state) Imperial Stout called Undead Party Crasher. About as black and thick as the 10W-40 that came out of my poor abused truck after I bought it.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
These days every afternoon, it's Jack Daniel's Rye and Hal O' the Wynd. The rye is pricy, but delicious. If you can find it, I highly recommend.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Christmas Cheer with a glass of Alberta Premium Dark Horse on the rocks. This is a new canadian whisky I discovered last week. Its 45% and a very sweet tasting. Ive attempted to mix it, as some would do with traditional canadian rye whiskys, and it just turns out too sweet. So, ive decided to treat it like a bourbon, and it tastes brilliant.
To quote:
Dark Horse was crafted for the next generation of whisky connoisseurs who are ready for a bolder, richer tasting Canadian whisky. Expertly distilled using our finest Canadian prarie rye grain, Dark Horse is blended at a higher strength with a small pot distilled batch that has been aged in handpicked charred oak barrels. The result is an extra smooth rye whisky that imparts flavours of vanilla, smoke, sweet oak, and blackcurrant.
I highly recommend this whisky to any of my Canadian forum members who enjoy such a fine spirit, at a decent price of $30 for a 750ml bottle....in Ontario at least.
Warren

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
All time favorite is "Honey Jack" on the rocks, out on my front porch

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
Rolldog: Honey Jack is very good, but also very sweet. Have you found any good Pipe Tobacco that is complimented by the flavor of Honey Jack?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
escioe, thanks for the recommendation, i will look for it next ABC store trip. i plan on popping my molto dolce cherry tonight with some crown royal maple. I think these two will make a good combination. I also think it would be great with Jack Daniels Honey. I am not a huge fan of aromatics, but i have to see what all the fuss is about as everyone is always talking about the stuff. I will most likely end up blending it with one of my rope tobaccos or even better, 1792. I find these two pair well together. Give it a try sometime if you're feeling spicy or just want something different.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Guinness works well with strong dark flakes like Irish flake or Old dark fired.
Remy Martin works with Irish Oak or Irish Spring Flake.
Nightcap with a full bodied Red.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I enjoy dark lagers and stouts with "medium-ish" English blends, like H&H Marquee BlackHouse and Lane's HGL.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hahaha, nice tuold, i've had 4 or 5 bottles of absinthe over the last 10 years from different countries in Europe and that stuff is just plain weird. I didn't trip or hallucinate or anything from it, as it is not made with the same amount of wormwood as it used to be and some has no wormwood in it at all, but it is just weird tasting stuff that is a different type of buzz. Very interesting combo though, i'll try almost anything once!

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I can pair a dark beer (Guinness Draught, Foreign Extra and Extra Stout, New Holland's Dragon's Milk, and New Belgium's 1554 are favorites) with smoke. I love red wine but have never made it work with tobacco. The best tobacco pairings are with whisky. Blended or single malt Irish, single malt Scotch and good bourbons all work. My favorite combination still has to be Talisker 10yo with Nightcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.