PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I've thought pipe cleaner holders was one of the most useless accessories until I started keeping some in my jacket with my lighter and pipe tool. They are mostly mangled and a pain to use now that they're not straight. I'll probably be ordering one of these soon.

Case is 14cm while a std pipe cleaner is about 15cm so if you're not adverse to a quick trim, try this option for a lightweight case to keep them straight, clean etc while in a pocket

61gdimzh90L._AC_SX425_.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If it works, it works, hard to argue with that. Since I smoke most days, I tend to leave out what I'm currently using for this task. Since I'm doing so, I prefer to have something that's as much pleasant to look at as is functional.
You mean like this? After awhile, it's all the same. When I started, I wanted nice black walnut tray, cutting black, nice tool.. In the end, what works the best, works the best. Just might be me. I'm bit on the lazy side.

PXL_20230221_221941589-02.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well I was cleaning out my work bag and found my emergency toothbrush that has hardly ever been used. I realized that it could serve a better purpose.

View attachment 204620
The tooth brush case felt too bulky in my coat pocket so I caved and bought a leather pipe cleaner holder (and a pocketjar).

Here’s what I’ve got on me every day along with a pipe and some tobacco but those change every day. My favorite accessories are still those fast food napkins for wiping down the chamber after the smoke.

signal-2023-03-13-164146_002.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Favorite tool, Rodgers of Sheffield. There are some complains about the angel of the knife and the pointer, but I cannot see any problems with that.
View attachment 208888View attachment 208889
I would love a wood scale sheffield! I have a blue plastic, and 1 steel one. I had a different steel one, but that one is lost. I wonder how hard it would be to make new scales for these.....

Naits

Lurker
Mar 12, 2023
Helgeland, Norway
I wonder how hard it would be to make new scales for these.....
That would be an interesting project. Probably possible.
I love this thing. Solid craftsmanship, and with the mix of nickel and solid brass linings and rivets it is very beautiful indeed. The tamper head is quite small, but I like the size of it. Enables "precision tamping".

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I got myself an 8 DECO tamper tamper, which I'm finding to be an excellent tool.
yeah I bought one and I did so because I keep lossing those Czech tools. And I was right the slight bit of extra weight and also know it cost a whole 10 something has seemed to allow me to not lose the thing. And it works better. I find the tamper bit with the ridges works great when you smoke a flake by fold and stuff. You see they don't always burn evenly and a slight twist will even things out. :)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
yeah I bought one and I did so because I keep lossing those Czech tools. And I was right the slight bit of extra weight and also know it cost a whole 10 something has seemed to allow me to not lose the thing. And it works better. I find the tamper bit with the ridges works great when you smoke a flake by fold and stuff. You see they don't always burn evenly and a slight twist will even things out. :)
I was gifted an 8deco tamper from a friend years ago. I actually like the domed tamper foot. Seems to help keep everything going nicely.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I had never heard of this but sounds great. I'll give it a shot with my next bowl.

How does the tamper shape help vs the flat Czech tool?
The tamper pad is in fact a dome, think of an inverted miniature saucer. To further the effect of the doming, I cant the tamper as I go around the bowl, further heaping the ash towards the center of the bowl.

I believe that Brian Levine, "The Voice" of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show, had a hand in designing it.