PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
These are a special type of Lucite block, or pen blank (since folks make custom pens from them, not pipe stems). They're called Tru-stone and are available from www.exoticblanks.com. They are also sold by Woodcraft Inc. They come in 3/4 x 5" or 7/8 x 5" blocks. My understanding is rhat they have mineral inclusions in them, hence the name Tru-stone. Some are easier to turn than others, and the company tells you which ones are more difficult to turn.
I'm collaborating with several pipe repairmen to make me custom stems. By far, my highest recommendation goes out to Floyd Norwood of Norwood Pipe Repairs out in TN. Floyd is a master craftsman who can carve beautiful custom stems. I'm sure his schedule varries, but at the moment the turn around is less than a week. I won't say what he charges as that's for him to decide, but I can say his rates are very reasonable.
Essentially, I got tired of the work involved in vulcanite upkeep. My Lucite stems from Radice, Castello and Negoita are worry free. Since I use thin surgical rubbers as removable bit protectors, the hardness of Lucite is a non issue for me. I like to clench my pipes for the whole smoke.
Hope all this helps.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
WoW! I like! Very nice! I'm not surprised at your wife's reaction many don't realize that a high quality hand cut stem is a time consuming process and accounts for half the labor of a pipe. Just think, with a new pipe the carver can shape the stem along with the pipe but these need done freehand to protect the pipe and mated later. I am very impressed! 8O

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Dave. Actually my wife's reaction was over the name "exoticblanks.com". (R rated joke). But the blocks themselves are inexpensive. About $8 to $15 for a 3/4 x 5" or 7/8 x 5" blank. Now the carvers on the other hand range widely in the prices they charge. The range even more widely in how long it takes them to do a job. Waiting time can be less than a week to well over three months, and still waiting. So it pays to shop around. Especially if you have a number of stems you wished carved. I went with the blanks because the Lucite Choices at Pipe Makers Emporium are really limited. I got started on all this after seeing Lary Roush and JT Cooke's choice of stem material.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Kash,

I have lost all respect for you in choosing such gaudy colored stems for classic British Pipes. That's obscene. :rofl:
If I ever happen to buy any of your estate pipes I'll have to see Norwood and have em all re-stemmed!!! :rofl:
But you will certainly be in style when you go to Rio de Janeiro for Carnivale.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Kasmir, I just stumbled across this thread, and I am in awe.
Very cool what you have done with these. I like the fact that having this done makes the pipes exclusively yours, and meeting your exact specifications.
I am already brainstorming ideas of what I would like to have done.
In particular, my eyes are drawn to the pair of Dunhill Shell #3103s from the 1980s, that have the blue stems. My favorite is the blue swirl stem in the foreground of the picture.
Do you know if Mr. Norwood will do work for people over the internet, or do you need to go to his shop?
VERY cool, and an excellent idea IMO. 8)

Dec 24, 2012
Kash - do you have to send him the whole pipe or just the existing stem? I assume the whole pipe but just thought I would ask.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents (I think). Never been to Rio, but I'll keep that in mind.
Gaudy? In the sense that a Picasso is to a Rembrandt? Perhaps. But after thirty yrs. of daily looking at black stems all lined up like so many soldiers in my racks, I think a yawn is in order.
Yep. Send the entire pipe with stem and new block to the carver. Like everything, communication is key. Also, like any artist or craftsman, they don't mind a little flattery as well. So treat em right if you them to treat your pipes right.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Add me to the list of people that like these new stems. I looked at you links, and I notice that !" square blanks are not available. Have you found a source for large blanks? I have been makeing a couple of large shank inverted calabash pipes and a fancy stem would be my choice.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Add me to the list of people that like these new stems. I looked at you links, and I notice that !" square blanks are not available. Have you found a source for large blanks? I have been makeing a couple of large shank inverted calabash pipes and a fancy stem would be my choice. My second choice is to buy a 15/16th saddle stem from Pipe Makers Eporium and remove the tenon, and replace with 11/16th derlon. So if anyone has seen and 1" blanks let me know.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Hi trailspike. Seems they sell blanks in two sizes. A 3/4 x 5" block and a 7/8 x 5" block. Suitable for most pipes, but you're right. A reverse calabash large shank may need a wider block. I'd email exoticblanks. They've been very helpful.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Sure, Paintedklown, Floyd accepts over the internet (EMail & photos) and through the mail, as do the preponderance of professional pipe repair shops:
http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/
As Kashmir said, prices vary for custom stems hand-cut from rod stock -- between $50 to more than $100, and the price depends on whether you provide your own rod and the complexity of the stem, so if one really loves that low-mid range pipe, it's probably best to stick with a "standard" replacement stem (they have some nice mottled and striated lucite in those as well), for around $18-$25.

Good to know Rothnh. Thanks for the info and the link. :)

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
These two Ashtons were just re-stemmed by Floyd Norwood. Came in today.
Early Ashton (1986) by Bill Taylor.

IMAG1356-1-1.jpg

Late Ashton (2011) by Jimmy Craig.

IMAG1358-1-1.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Gaudy? In the sense that a Picasso is to a Rembrandt? Perhaps. But after thirty yrs. of daily looking at black stems all lined up like so many soldiers in my racks, I think a yawn is in order.
Kash,

It was all said in jest as you know. I admire your creativity and can TOTALLY understand your transition to acrylic stems, believe me. Personally I guess I'm too conservative for the bright colors but love the smokey, swirled, tortoise, and darker styles you have chosen. And I must add that those early Ashton's are some magnificent sandblasts.

:clap:

Aug 1, 2012
Love the look. I didn't when I first looked but the more I see them, the more I like them.
Kash, you mentioned tru-stone and I bought my wife a few miniatures out of that material and it's pretty darn heavy and hard, almost like a real rock. So, that said, how does it feel as a stem material? Does it add a ton of weight to the pipe? If it makes a good stem, I may consider it for one of my pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
Lucite is lighter than rubber/vulcanite.
The problem is that if it is tru-stone, it's not lucite but a powdered rock and resin combination. I've handled the stuff and it's really heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.