PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Only in the US though, I believe and, only in sales as they provided cheap through expensive layers of pipes. The British Empire meant Dunhill was revered by the upper crust, world wide. Kaywoodie did have many grades. Most likely so as to reach a wide spectrum of wallets. I'm not sure Kaywoodie and Dunhill can be compared fairly to each other as brands. Alfred Dunhill stuck to his desire to provide products for only his chosen and well understood market. He did so when he went into the automobile accessory business and continued when he expanded into pipes and tobaccos.

Comparing upper level Kaywoodie pipes to Dunhils is, I think, valid. Less expensive Kaywoodies certainly wouldn't compare well to the better grade of Dunhill or, Kaywoodie for that matter.
Except for an ad in a local newspaper for a B&M in Tallahassee touting Kaywoodies as more expensive than Dunhills, in every catalog Dunhill is consistently much more expensive than Kaywoodie. In the 1960s the best of the best Kaywoodies sold for $10, the bulk of the production sold for less than $3, and basic Dunhill through Group 4 sold for $10. That's about as comparable as Kaywoodie and Dunhill have ever been.

Reactions: Lucashly

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Mallory's body was found on Everest but his Dunhill was not listed as far as I know, the rope round his waist was broken in a fall, no one knows whether they were the first to reach the top, but to me if you reach the top you have to get down, or you are not successful.

Seventy years later, the main worry when standing on the top is whether the clouds will allow the mountains behind you to be visible in your selfie. (Also, the pushing and shoving to keep strangers out of your pics can get pretty rough.)

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 2.29.35 PM.png

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Except for an ad in a local newspaper for a B&M in Tallahassee touting Kaywoodies as more expensive than Dunhills, in every catalog Dunhill is consistently much more expensive than Kaywoodie. In the 1960s the best of the best Kaywoodies sold for $10, the bulk of the production sold for less than $3, and basic Dunhill through Group 4 sold for $10. That's about as comparable as Kaywoodie and Dunhill have ever been.
I think the Dunhill v. KW comparison has been overplayed here for years.
There’s really nothing to back it up.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Mallory's body was found on Everest but his Dunhill was not listed as far as I know, the rope round his waist was broken in a fall, no one knows whether they were the first to reach the top, but to me if you reach the top you have to get down, or you are not successful. It was my heroes that got me into climbing and pipe smoking, a pipe is the best hand warmer on a mountain in winter, thank god for that, I only walk mountains now but my pipe is always with me. puffy
Yes I believe it was Todd Snider that said, "Most men flying seem to understand
That a man technically hasn't flown til he lands
If you're coming into land and you crash and die
All you really did for sure was get too high".