PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jb235

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2022
Lithuania
Title shortened. Please use title niceties as stated in Rule 9!

Original: MY family say the pipe smoking is for old man

Hey folks, how would you react for such speeches ? I think people just think stereotypes rule the world, nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aspiring_sage

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I light my pipe and puff away. Being a curmudgeon isn't reserved for old people, people under 40 can be to *ahem*.

Excuse my misunderstanding of your questions and my natural born blundness, but seeing those questions do you doubt your own decision to venture into this hobby/way of taking nicotine in? If so, contemplate what your motives are to do smoke a pipe or just don't care about what others will say or do and enjoy your pipe.

jb235

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2022
Lithuania
I light my pipe and puff away. Being a curmudgeon isn't reserved for old people, people under 40 can be to *ahem*.

Excuse my misunderstanding of your questions and my natural born blundness, but seeing those questions do you doubt your own decision to venture into this hobby/way of taking nicotine in? If so, contemplate what your motives are to do smoke a pipe or just don't care about what others will say or do and enjoy your pipe.
Hi, your answer is little bit rusty, but it's ok. I just want to get better how people react of people who smokes pipes around the world.

Reactions: DanWil84

jb235

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2022
Lithuania
Some time ago smoking pipes were only for rich people, not everyone could smoke it. Also I heard some pipes were made of pumpkin heh

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's fact and there's stereotyping in the presumption that pipe smoking is for old men. Guys over sixty remember when pipe smoking was common in the population and may have smoked for a long time or long ago, and grown up with adults who did. So there's that.

On the other hand, as Forums illustrates, pipe smokers can be from their teens on up in age. We have a few teens and plenty of members in their twenties, thirties, forties, and fifties, none of whom are old men from my point of view.

In wealthier countries with large middle classes, people remain engaged and active into their seventies and eighties, and sometime beyond, as do a few of the fortunate in less wealthy countries, so what constitutes a old man varies widely too.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I just want to get better how people react of people who smokes pipes around the world.
In the parts of the USA where I've lived in, the public has found my pipe smoking to be fascinating -- a really cool blast-from-the-past, so to speak.

I've only ever gotten or sensed positive feedback ... except from my parents and siblings, who will always be persuaded that tobacco is a Very Great Evil.

My wife and kids adore my pipe smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tobacco used to be an expensive luxury, so pipe smoking among working people was a once-a-day or less sort of thing, maybe one bowl at the pub in the evening. As was tea. Wooden boxes that held tea, called tea caddies, had little locks to prevent pilfering.

jb235

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2022
Lithuania
Tobacco used to be an expensive luxury, so pipe smoking among working people was a once-a-day or less sort of thing, maybe one bowl at the pub in the evening. As was tea. Wooden boxes that held tea, called tea caddies, had little locks to prevent pilfering.
Your thoughts are always very interesting and informative !

Reactions: Winnipeger