PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Personally, I smoke them all in the house. My wife “says” they all smell the same to her, which I say is ??.
But if you want something with Latakia that has a decent room note, try some Hearth & Home Mazatec. It’s one of my favorites, and is in the same category as the Frog Mortons. Kind of a hybrid English.

Reactions: newportpipe

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Lots of good suggestions already but may I push you in a slightly different direction: consider some lighter Orientals. The right balance of Turkish leaf has this incense-y smell that is vague reminiscent of tea leaves and such.

I personally find it the least offensive smell (aromatics can be obnoxiously sugary).
My wife likes the smell of things like Orlik Golden Sliced and Newminster 400 as far as non aros.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good ventilation alone goes a very long way. The extent to which smoke "ruins" houses, lowers property values, or even sticks around is dramatically overstated IMO.

My parents are former cigarette smokers, and my mom is very good at interior decorating and maintaining a super-clean house, and they smoked in their houses when they were smokers. Between her decorating style and my stepdad's art, map, and antique collections, their houses have essentially looked like an upscale furniture / décor store meets the Most Interesting Man in the World. The last house that they lived in as smokers sold for a substantial amount over asking price, and in a short time. Now for the people who chain smoke, let their ash trays sit full, rarely clean and vacuum, and don't consider ventilation at all - they are the ones that end up with yellow walls and ceilings and a house that smells like nasty stale tobacco smoke.

I've also gotta agree with @chasingembers about grown men smoking in their own houses.

Itz

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
Here's another vote for Va/VaPer blends. My wife likes the smell of pipe smoke though. She even loves the smell of Match EMP.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Search for a holmes twin window fan. I put one of these into a sliding window in my man cave when I smoke indoors and set it to exhaust to the outside. It made an amazing difference and is quiet. If I am after smell good, I go for Wilke 191 or 4 noggins 3 Blind Moose.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I live in a rental that doesn’t allow smoking in the house, so I step outside every time. Even if the lease allowed it, I can’t really imagine smoking inside a typical home. I don’t want to smoke around the cats, and I don’t really like the smell of stale, lingering smoke, dirty ashtrays, or the way smoke smells stick to fabrics and porous surfaces. Or looking at burn marks on the furniture from careless guests.

When we buy our own place, I’m probably going to set up a nice finished shed out back with comfy easy-clean furniture, a mini bar, a writing desk for me, things for other people to do, and plenty of effective ventilation and air filtration to serve as a little smoke lounge.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I live in a rental that doesn’t allow smoking in the house, so I step outside every time. Even if the lease allowed it, I can’t really imagine smoking inside a typical home. I don’t want to smoke around the cats, and I don’t really like the smell of stale, lingering smoke, dirty ashtrays, or the way smoke smells stick to fabrics and porous surfaces. Or looking at burn marks on the furniture from careless guests.

When we buy our own place, I’m probably going to set up a nice finished shed out back with comfy easy-clean furniture, a mini bar, a writing desk for me, things for other people to do, and plenty of effective ventilation and air filtration to serve as a little smoke lounge.
My house doesn’t smell like smoke. It may smell like dogs but not smoke. ?
Ventilation is the key. And cleaning/putting away your pipes and emptying your ashtrays.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I mainly smoke in the Kitchen when I smoke indoors with the stove hood vent on. Seems to do a pretty good job of keeping it from getting cloudy.

so I agree with @lawdawg ... ventilation is the most important thing, really.
This is what I do most of the time. On a side note, I think compromising is much more "Manly" then a grown baby saying "I'll do what I want"

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee

I lived in a rental house, for 4 years, that didn’t allow smoking. I did it anyway...... I only smoked in my man cave and the garage. When we moved out the never suspected a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.