PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This morning I settled a case, and left my best pen with my wife and the assistant for the other lawyer to draw up the papers.

I had another nice pen in my pocket, and after a long day I asked for my best pen back, and she couldn’t find it.

I’m the most privileged, spoiled, and pampered man on this earth. I can’t count my nice pens any more than I can count all my pipes, watches and pocket knives. My best pen is engraved with my name on it, and I said it will likely show up, and if not I’m not going to grieve over one pen of too many. I’ll just use that as an excuse to replace the Mont Blanc rollerball I lost twenty years ago that’s not shown up yet.

My staff went on working on my behalf, leaving me free to look for Mont Blanc pens on eBay.

Geezus. New ones range from $39 to $300 and they all look the same.
About then, my wife found my best pen inside a file, and my thoughts of another Mont Blanc subsided.

But there are lots of fake luxury pens out there.

I splurged $9 for a genuine Parker pen, no doubt made someplace far across the ocean, but it’s cheap, not a cheap fake.

92B853FB-4FE8-4E7E-BE13-84F17FF8656B.jpeg

There’s nothing in this world somebody won’t steal the brand name of and make a fake, except a genuine Star Grade Lee, and that’s only because they aren’t worth faking.:)

Watch out for fake luxury pens.

I wonder what is a safe way, to buy a luxury pen?

Reactions: RonB
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Order from Cross directly.

I'm a fan of Cross pens and have personalized them for gifts several times. However, I was unable to personalize them for Christmas this year for some reason and went without. Maybe they will sort out the bugs next year.

I still have my father's Cross pen as well as the one I was gifted for my high school graduation (from a friend who dropped out and wanted me to use it during my studies and in my chosen profession). Elegant, sharp, durable, and timeless as a suit and tie, Cross pens are classic.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Parker has a big spot in my heart. I carry a Jotter with me every day. Have for 6 years or so now. Ballpoint. Not the all stainless, and not an XL. Both are way too slippery.

I spend way to much on pens. Always finding the next perfect one. Then they sit in my pen case, while I write with my Jotter. Cross pen refills always skip, and my Sheaffers rattle around like Christmas bells.

My newest fountain pen is my TWSBI Eco. I love everything about it, except that it's so fragile. All I hear about is them cracking.

The closest thing I've found to the perfect fountain pen are my Kaweco Sports. I have one in plastic and one all brass. Great pens, but still not as reliable as my Parker Jotters. PXL_20221206_133142236.MP.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Parker has a big spot in my heart. I carry a Jotter with me every day. Have for 6 years or so now. Ballpoint. Not the all stainless, and not an XL. Both are way too slippery.

I spend way to much on pens. Always finding the next perfect one. Then they sit in my pen case, while I write with my Jotter. Cross pen refills always skip, and my Sheaffers rattle around like Christmas bells.

My newest fountain pen is my TWSBI Eco. I love everything about it, except that it's so fragile. All I hear about is them cracking.

The closest thing I've found to the perfect fountain pen are my Kaweco Sports. I have one in plastic and one all brass. Great pens, but still not as reliable as my Parker Jotters. View attachment 186172
TWSBI are good fountain pens. I still have two of their pens from when they started shipping to US. Love Kaweco Sports. Their nibs need some work. Most of 'em are little scratch for my taste. But once adjusted, works like charm.

Reactions: RonB and didimauw

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mont Blancs range up into the hundreds, several hundred in fact. Last on I purchased was was nearing a grand. I love my Mont Blanc fountain pens. It is hard to find a wide nib though. I mostly find mediums which are great for writing. The wide nibs make for fine signatures though. They are my only real indulgence though so ... who cares!

Never had a crack in the resin though.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I confess. Its budget Chinese copies all the way for me.
I really like my black Jinhao X159.
Looks good, writes good, came with a coverter. All in including postage was about £5.50
At that price I am happy to use it everywhere. If it breaks I would probably buy another one.

1670571728085.png

Reactions: RonB
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I make my own and
Mont Blancs range up into the hundreds, several hundred in fact. Last on I purchased was was nearing a grand. I love my Mont Blanc fountain pens. It is hard to find a wide nib though. I mostly find mediums which are great for writing. The wide nibs make for fine signatures though. They are my only real indulgence though so ... who cares!

Never had a crack in the resin though.
I love my Mont Blanc. Relieved 2 as a gift and carry them when I have to dress up.
Usually I use Zebra G301 - it is, in my opinion, the perfect pen. Cheap, but perfect in every way.

I have some burl scraps I've been meaning to use to turn my own here soon. Something like this: S328.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Slightly off topic, but some years ago my Mother was on one of her QEII cruises and happened to find a rather nice silver Mont Blanc pen whilst on board.

She did the right thing and saw that it was handed in to the purser's office and thought nothing more of the matter.

Some months later, she got a surprise package in the post from Cunard's offices in Southampton....it was the silver M/B pen!

Whatever happened to it I have no idea, the sister who cleared Mother's house when she passed claimed to have not found it....but I have my doubts!

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Briar Lee and RonB

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I confess. Its budget Chinese copies all the way for me.
I really like my black Jinhao X159.
Looks good, writes good, came with a coverter. All in including postage was about £5.50
At that price I am happy to use it everywhere. If it breaks I would probably buy another one.

View attachment 186190
This Jinhao is pretty amazing for the price. I have almost 200 fountain pens and I’m really enjoying this one. I think I paid $10 for it on Amazon. The nib needed a little smoothing to make it the way I like it but it was fine out of the box.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About twenty five years ago I swore off and parked in a drawer my Mont Blanc and other nice fountain pens because eventually they’d all either leak or run out of ink at the worst time.

Instead I’ve used nice roller ball pens since.

No matter the pen, it writes as well as the ink cartridge, which I use medium blue.

Years ago lawyers used blue because you could tell the original from the black and white copies. Today most printers are color, and it doesn’t matter, but I’m used to blue.

Parker, Cross, and Shaffer used to be luxury pens and are now luxury brands, made overseas.

How the Chinese can make such beautiful pens for ten bucks is a mystery.

Being a creative, I mostly use pencils for my work. But, when I reach for a pen, I tend to reach for a Pilot G2 gel pen, while all of my nicer pens just set on my desk and dry up. They are making some really nice disposable pends these days. Funny, every single one of those pens on the wall at the store are made in China, and we're surprised when they make a luxury one, which are half rate compared to modern pens. I have never used a luxury pen that was quite as nice as a .7mm G2, which is less than $2. Those things just float on the paper while leaving really nice quality marks.

Reactions: RonB and Jwebb90

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
If I had to pick a favorite pen, I think I would chose my Pilot Custom 912 with a soft fine nib. I bought it from Japan via Ebay wherre there are a lot of very reputable sellers for Japanese pens. The soft fine nib is amazing because it has some "flex". I just checked Jetpens and this pen is available for $195. Much cheaper than a Pelikan or Mont Blanc.

Attachments

• 135689.jpg
    135689.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 3

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
This morning I settled a case, and left my best pen with my wife and the assistant for the other lawyer to draw up the papers.

I had another nice pen in my pocket, and after a long day I asked for my best pen back, and she couldn’t find it.

I’m the most privileged, spoiled, and pampered man on this earth. I can’t count my nice pens any more than I can count all my pipes, watches and pocket knives. My best pen is engraved with my name on it, and I said it will likely show up, and if not I’m not going to grieve over one pen of too many. I’ll just use that as an excuse to replace the Mont Blanc rollerball I lost twenty years ago that’s not shown up yet.

My staff went on working on my behalf, leaving me free to look for Mont Blanc pens on eBay.

Geezus. New ones range from $39 to $300 and they all look the same.
About then, my wife found my best pen inside a file, and my thoughts of another Mont Blanc subsided.

But there are lots of fake luxury pens out there.

I splurged $9 for a genuine Parker pen, no doubt made someplace far across the ocean, but it’s cheap, not a cheap fake.

View attachment 186163

There’s nothing in this world somebody won’t steal the brand name of and make a fake, except a genuine Star Grade Lee, and that’s only because they aren’t worth faking.:)

Watch out for fake luxury pens.

I wonder what is a safe way, to buy a luxury pen?
I would peruse FountainPenNetwork. It is the equivalent of this forum for pen enthusiasts. You will find out that the Parker you bought for $9.00 is actually a Chinese Knockoff not a real Parker and there are 5-6 ways to tell the difference. There is also a debate as to whether some knockoffs are knockoffs. Around 1971 Parker gave China (As part of Nixon's opening of China) the right to make the Parker 45 Fountain Pen but the language in the license was vague and the question arose as to whether they granted them a license on all or just that one. You might appreciate the detailed story as an example of bad legal draftsmanship. You will find it there if you use the search bar on that sight. The problem with the knockoffs is that they fall apart after awhile or the plastic disintegrates on its own.
Some of the fountain pen manufacturers of China actually do make quality products as there is a huge fountain pen society there. The $25.00 Kaigelu 316 pens are an homage to the $800ish Parker Duofold not a knockoff and in many respects are considered as good or better than the original. One aspect of better is a stainless steel nib vs 14K gold ... and if lost or stolen you're only out $25.00 not $6-800. Also the pens itself is a bit more durable for daily use.
The beauty of the cheepies is that you can practice nib grinding to get the angle you want before trying your hand at expensive nibs.
Like cleaning and refinishing a $10.00 basket pipe before hitting the 1930 Dunhill with a sander.
Finally, there is an ethical debate as to knockoffs and patent rights and piracy.
As always ... research before you buy !!