PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Some people like to collect fakes
This is true of vinyl records as well. In the early days of rock and roll, most record labels didn't have the resources to obtain copyrights in multiple countries and would only file copyrights in one or two nations. The result was lots and lots of "counterfeit" records being pressed in other countries. The Beatles early records were counterfeited at an alarming rate. Today, some of the counterfeits fetch as much money on the vinyl record market as the "real" ones.
Collectors are weird folks ...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If counterfeit, could the nomenclature have been applied via computer run laser engraving? It looks too good to be a part of that pipe!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would have thought that could be controlled, as lasers are used in some surgerys.
OK, then, a computer controlled tiny router?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Part of the reason why I haven't thought much about buying a Dunhill, is that I would have no idea what was real or fake.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With over 11,000 transactions, the "winner" of this fake must be some sort of eBay junkie. He set his maximum bid early and other bidders of various types just ate away at it. No sympathy here. The seller knew it was a fake and didn't care. If the winner didn't know what he was bidding on, that's his problem. If he did know the pipe was a fake then presumably he's happy with the fake. eBay did nothing to intervene, even though they had been alerted to the fraud. One more reason to remember that it's caveat emptor on eBay.
I should buy it, then buy a sandblast cabinet, then learn how to sandblast, then try to resell as a Shell.
It might still be easy to spot as a fake since the stem is molded, not handmade, and the inner tube has a gap instead of being a solid tube.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Sable,
it is becoming glaringly evident that you, my friend, have obviously forgotten more about Dunhill's than I will ever know. :oops:
As to those fake stems...
I recently bought a pack of three of these from China. They're small enough that I thought they would be a novel replacement stem for some of my MM Cobs.
After I get through the backlog of pipes I'm refurbin, I'll try to outfit one of the MM's and see how it comes out.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Well...this is interesting. I guess the buyer of this smooth "Shell" got wise, because it's for sale again, but this time listed as a "Counterfeit." (No bids, yet.)
DUNHILL SHELL MADE IN ENGLAND Counterfeit Pipe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-SHELL-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-Counterfeit-Pipe-/152535749249?

Status
Not open for further replies.