PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Clearly a fake Dunhill -- a smooth "Shell." Haven't we seen this one before?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DUNHILL-SHELL-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-PAT-No-417574-17-Collectible-Pipe-/152516229272?
Unfortunately, there are quite a few bids on it already.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', a fake collection, what an interesting thought. I wouldn't want it, but there's a collector for everything.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
:rofl:
manti+teo+fake+girlfriend+nfl+meme.jpg

Speaking of fake girlfriends....

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I almost want one of those little trinket fakes. They're so cute, right? :lol:
Amazing-but-true: Counterfeiting is an entrenched (and weirdly respected) career choice in parts of Asia that precedes written history. The sweetest recent example I can think of is an ENTIRE Apple computer retail store in China, where every interior detail is copied exactly. All to sell knock-off Apple merchandise, of course.
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekhf45eimle/this-is-not-a-real-apple-store-3/#5706e3426bb0

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I reported it as a fake to eBay explaining why so we'll see how before it's removed.

banjo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I contacted the seller, who responded thanking me for the info and asking what tipped me off to the pipe being a fake and asking if she should revise her listing to note that the pipe is a fake. I responded in turn with the info requested, and suggested that revising her listing would be good karma.
I think the seller is honest, just not knowledgeable about pipes.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
OK, I am sure this is a laughable question, but did Dunhill ever misstamp a pipe with incorrect nomenclature? Not applying the question to this pipe. A general thought.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Williams Gaddis' The Recognitions is interesting to consider when thinking of collecting fakes.
In the book, a (the) main character was an artist who specialized in forgery. His forgeries contained more art than the modern art it was compared to. Interesting to think that forgery can take more work than an original.
This is a poor description of the book, but thinking of this when reading that counterfeiting is a respected profession in China is interesting.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
OK, I am sure this is a laughable question, but did Dunhill ever misstamp a pipe with incorrect nomenclature? Not applying the question to this pipe. A general thought.
Sure they did. But that's not the case here. A number of these smooth finished "shells" have turned up over the last couple of years, all with the same patent stamp and year stamp. Plus there are other issues, like the over large dot, the shaping of the button and slot, etc, that point to these being fakes.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I did not doubt y'all about this one. I just wondered if there were instances when folks thought they had a fake but it turned out to be a stamping mistake. In fountain pens, the Mont Blanc fakes have become very sophisticated and to the point they use gold nibs where appropriate. Makes one very cautious of dropping a grand or 10 on a pen in a boutique shop selling certified MBs when they have been duped too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The book "The Goldfinch: A Novel" was all about art and furniture forgeries, I really enjoyed reading that one.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldfinch-Novel-Pulitzer-Prize-Fiction/dp/0316055425

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
It's China's culture. Callaway golf has gone after them. They (callaway) give them a design they fulfill the order then take the molds down the street and have another factory make the knockoffs. I get a little perturbed when these us companies are squeezing every last dime out of a product and act like "we can't make $500 dollar drivers in the us and make a profit" so they kill jobs and then act surprised when a culture does what a culture has done for thousands of years. Knocking off dunhills seems like a get rich sloooow scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.