PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pside

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
I recently purchased a smaller, lightweight, lower priced Estate pipe from a reputable online retailer specifically for hunting/backpacking trips and garage work. The retailer after acknowledging the finish was failing after 1/2 a bowl, went on to offer an absurd 10% refund and advised me of the ridiculous process of shipping to them on my dime and waiting for a review and then possibly getting a refund if found the pipe was actually defective rather than me misusing the pipe. Rather than subjecting myself to their insulting lack of customer service, i'll just take my business elsewhere. I'd like to try to use/repair the pipe, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I recently purchased a smaller, lightweight, lower priced Estate pipe from a reputable online retailer specifically for hunting/backpacking trips and garage work. The retailer after acknowledging the finish was failing after 1/2 a bowl, went on to offer an absurd 10% refund and advised me of the ridiculous process of shipping to them on my dime and waiting for a review and then possibly getting a refund if found the pipe was actually defective rather than me misusing the pipe. Rather than subjecting myself to their insulting lack of customer service, i'll just take my business elsewhere. I'd like to try to use/repair the pipe, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
would love to see pics and I can only assume this is SPC

Pside

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
Here are some photos, it also started putting off an odd smell that I noticed and stopped at 1/2 a bowl.

Attachments

• 83DC96BF-36F4-4087-9E05-FD1A62B8C8F6.jpeg
    83DC96BF-36F4-4087-9E05-FD1A62B8C8F6.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 9455FE6B-2D90-4F5A-99C9-D0C558CDBDBC.jpeg
    9455FE6B-2D90-4F5A-99C9-D0C558CDBDBC.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 34

Pside

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
How hot were you smoking?!
Not hot at all, I get bite really easily so I tend to smoke slow preferring a re light to bite. If chasingembers assesment is correct and the pipe was lacquered it would explain why it’s bubbling and the smell I experienced.

Reactions: BROBS

Pside

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
Pictures of this pipe?

If this were a brand new pipe, I can see a full refund being offered, or a replacement. Does the status of the pipe as an estate complicate things? Maybe, as who knows what the pipe went through before you got it.
I agree with the potential uncertainty of previous handling of estate pipes. However, if you’re a large well established online retailer you should be able to cover the rare case this comes up and not place the ownership on your customers to return the pipe and maybe get a refund or settle for 10% off.

Reactions: chopper

Pside

Lurker
Jan 31, 2020
Very little.
Chasingembers, thank you again for your advice. I spent a few hours working on the pipe this morning. With the aid of some plastic pics I had from a firearm cleaning kit I got all the lacquer off. I used a few coats of savinelli briar polish to seal the wood afterwards. I now have a usable pipe and didn’t have to waste more time dealing with customer “service” reps.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.