PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
(Towson, MD) I was wondering how you thought of this store, they have a huge selection of cigars, pipes, and pipe tobacco. They have 90 in house blends!
I was wondering if their pipe tobacco was high quality or just a lot of cheap stuff put in a lot of jars. So far I tried Unique which was suppposed to be one of their best blends (aromatic), it had almost no taste to it at all and it was kind of wet and it was shreded altra thin. They do offer taste testing so I will be back doing that and they have a sit down smoking bar which is quite nice.
I'm going to guess that they are a great shop, that has just gone a little blend crazy and they probabley have some really killer ones mixed in with the rest. 90 just seems a bit much for a single shop to in-house to me and to keep the quality high for all of them. The people in the shop were very nice and I did buy my first pipe two years ago there. My only real gripe was that at the time, there was no one there who had ever smoked a pipe before; so it was a little hard to get suggestions on tobaccos to try, quite daunting when they have 90 jars on the wall.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I can't really comment on their tobaccos, although I have actually smoked some of the "Churchill Blend", a combination of three vanilla Cav's which wasn't terrible - just not my cup of tea. That said, I expect a few of those blends are likely re-labled bulks; both the bane and the boon of the pipe-tobacco industry.
A good place to start your search would be reading over blend descriptions on the website, looking to whittle down the mass of jars with random names to a few blends that actually sound enjoyable to you...I know I found more than a few that piqued my interest reading over the selection.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I stop and visit both Baltimore stores once a month or so. I love their "King Eider" English blend. I get 6 oz at a time. The Catonsville store has a larger selection of tins, if you are into that. Sadly, MD OTB/pipe tobacco taxes go from 15% to 30% in June, so I'll just slip up to PA (10 miles vs 70 to Balimore) and buy the similar Boswell Blends. Too bad, as Faders is a MD institution (1871) and their tobacco blends are first rate.
Another great place is the Annapolis Smoke Shop. They've been around since the 50's I believe. Their Imperial Dubec, a mild English is better than King Eider or the Boswell English blends.

http://smokeshopusaltd.com/pipetob/pipetob.php
Another option I'll explore is shipping from Faders to my brother-in-law who lives just across the state line in PA. That will keep me in my King Eider. Annapolis doesn't ship as far as I know.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Speaking of boswell blends...do you have to call them to order or is there an online vendor somewhere that carries their stuff?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
King Eider's description is amazing, right up my alley. That'll probabley be the first one I test out in a pipe the next time I go to Fader's.
Boswells right now has the best aromatics money can buy in my opinion; they are the only ones to taste like what they smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.