PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
House blends since the 70s have mostly been rebadged Lane's bulk you can probably buy online cheaper, depending on the tobacco tax in your area. That said, the Lane's blends are no worse than those "factory" blends sold in cardboard "cans" made by indie US blenders. Decent blends like Dunhills, Gawiths, Escudo, Capstan and the sort are a whole different matter. Those are well worth it over house blends. They are carefully blended, shipped with proper moisture, and packaged in real metal tins, like a quality product selling for a premium price had better.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...and packaged in real metal tins, like a quality product selling for a premium price."
There was a time in my early pipe smoking days that I am quite ashamed to say I turned my nose up at Gawith & Hoggarth blends simply because they weren't tinned!
I have since learned the error of my ways and some G&H blends (Dark Flake, Kendal Kentucky, Dark Birdseye etc) are amongst my favourite blends. Another bonus is that they are generally cheaper by £1 per 50g than other blends.
Regards,
Jay.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Gawith & Hoggarth started blending before tins for pipe tobacco were invented.

They have a fair excuse.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The Country Squire in Jackson, Ms blends theor own house blends from blending tobacco and not bulk blends. It's one of the few.

May 4, 2015
+1 The Country Squire. It's the only "house" I order from.
Ounce for ounce, it's pricey sure, but I've spoken with the man who blends it, and I really appreciate all they do between the podcast and everything else.
The extra $2/ounce is worth being able to support Jon David and what he's trying to do down there.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
The very first pipe blend I ever tried is still my favorite, and I've tried lots of English, Balkans, Lat-bombs, different Vas, VaPers, Burleys, and aeros. I admit I have not tried anything which I've known to be Lane, so if blends which I like impress me more than McBaren which I've had from tins more than Lane, then guess I like chemicals.. :-P It's a blend called Ed's Best at Edleez Tobacco in Guilderland, NY, and for an aeromatic it tastes almost as rich as the incredible room note. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend Ed's Best, which combines 3 high-quality Burleys with very good Cavendish - no other flavoring necessary! I don't know who makes their blends, having tried several others which were equally impressive the last time I was there (maybe 3 months), but if he's local I'd like to find out so that I can compliment him personally.
Just don't ask the staff who work there for advice on pipe smoking or pipe care, they don't know jack!

Status
Not open for further replies.