PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pydpiper

Lurker
Aug 18, 2024
Georgia, USA
Moved from Introductions to General Pipe Discussion.

Being new to pipes,and destroying two corn cobs in the process of learning🤣, I bought myself 4 factory pipes. One TPE, two G Mineto’s and one from a German company, unsure of the manufacturer. The most expensive was the German Churchwarden @ $100. The others were $70 to $50. My question is, are custom made pipes or more expensive factory pipes really that much better?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
This is a very nuanced question.
Some pipers get more satisfaction from smoking high end handmade pipes. The look, the feel, the name....all add to their smoking enjoyment.
While others are content with average looking pipes and concentrate more on tobacco.
Who's right? Both are right.
Do high end handmade pipes smoke better? They can, but don't always.
Ive always been a "smoke what I like" piper. I have some high end handmade pipes and a LOT of factory pipes.
My thing is older(pre 1970) factory pipes like Comoys, GBD Sasinni Barling....
They are made well, from good briar and almost always smoke great.
Newer factory pipes are a bit more hit or miss for me.
You would think it would be the high end pipe smokers who look down on us factory pipe guys, but in my experience, it's the opposite.
The $40 factory pipe guys can get down right cantankerous with the, "my $40 pipe smokes AS good or BETTER than your $800 pipe....period!!!"
And I'll admit, I can get that way when someone does poo poo my beat up old Comoy Blue Ribband. :)
It's a great smoking pipe....but looks like it went through a wood chipper.
Anyways, if you see a high end pipe that you like, and can afford it, try it out. In MY experience your odds are better at getting a fantastic tasting and smoking pipe, than your odds at getting the same with a $60 factory pipe. Again, just MY experience. :)

Pydpiper

Lurker
Aug 18, 2024
Georgia, USA
This is a very nuanced question.
Some pipers get more satisfaction from smoking high end handmade pipes. The look, the feel, the name....all add to their smoking enjoyment.
While others are content with average looking pipes and concentrate more on tobacco.
Who's right? Both are right.
Do high end handmade pipes smoke better? They can, but don't always.
Ive always been a "smoke what I like" piper. I have some high end handmade pipes and a LOT of factory pipes.
My thing is older(pre 1970) factory pipes like Comoys, GBD Sasinni Barling....
They are made well, from good briar and almost always smoke great.
Newer factory pipes are a bit more hit or miss for me.
You would think it would be the high end pipe smokers who look down on us factory pipe guys, but in my experience, it's the opposite.
The $40 factory pipe guys can get down right cantankerous with the, "my $40 pipe smokes AS good or BETTER than your $800 pipe....period!!!"
And I'll admit, I can get that way when someone does poo poo my beat up old Comoy Blue Ribband. :)
It's a great smoking pipe....but looks like it went through a wood chipper.
Anyways, if you see a high end pipe that you like, and can afford it, try it out. In MY experience your odds are better at getting a fantastic tasting and smoking pipe, than your odds at getting the same with a $60 factory pipe. Again, just MY experience. :)
Thank you👍, puts things into perspective for me now , cheers 🥃

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Ideally with more expensive factory pipes you’re paying for better finishing and attention to detail. Some companies cruise on reputation. Others may actually be better.
Artisan carvers try to source the best briar they can get. They spend a lot of time getting the engineering exactly right. Stems are hand cut and everything is measured and custom fitted. You’ll see stem materials and colors you won’t get on factory pipes. Are artisan pipes better than factory pipes? Usually. Often a lot better. If you just want 20 pipes, spend some money and gradually accumulate artisan pipes.
There’s a lot of decent, good smoking pipes out there. And some bad ones.

Pydpiper

Lurker
Aug 18, 2024
Georgia, USA
For the most part, you pay for what you want. All of it is a luxury and if you want a specific pipe, you pay the specific price. Nothing guarantees satisfaction however. There’s a lot of crap out there.
Thank you for answering my question, as a furniture designer and maker myself I understand the custom aspect of the art, beautiful work needs to come with performance in my opinion.

Chris T

Lurker
Aug 3, 2023
My most expensive is a Cavicchi, which doesn't smoke any better than the basket pipe I got in a Tinder Box starter pack. The Cavicchi is prettier, but since smoking any pipe makes one more attractive, I'm thinking there's less payoff on the investment the more one spends.

PipeMarc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Not all expensive pipes smoke well, and not all cheap pipes smoke like shit. It’s trial and error. From artisans to factory made, buy estates of each, figure out what suits your style. Sell the ones that don’t work for you. Slowly curate your collection that benefits your style of smoking. Some people spend $1ks on a pipe from an artisan they revere only to receive the pipe and not enjoy it as much as $250 Dunhill from the 60s. To each their own. When in doubt, buy a BriarWorks pipe and smoke the hell out of it and enjoy!

Reactions: Pydpiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My question is, are custom made pipes or more expensive factory pipes really that much better?
I have pipes ranging from cobs, $25 estates to antique Britwoods, factory pipes (Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli) to reasonably high end pipes

I’m happy to pay for the pipe I want - looks or name
Does it make much of a difference in smokebility ?
In short, NO

Once broken in, they smoke much the same
The drilling may make an appreciable difference though

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I have had experiences similar to all those mentioned here; I have both expensive and cheap pipes that smoke great and some that are rather disappointing. I smoke more corn cobs than anything because I like the easy and open draw and they are also my cheapest pipes. I have also found through trial and experience that there are certain pipes I have that smoke certain blends better, such as my Dr. Grabow Savoy smokes Captain Black White better than any pipe in my collection so that's what I use it for. In short, if you see a pipe you like go for it because the only true way of knowing if it's a good one or bad is by smoking it.

Pydpiper

Lurker
Aug 18, 2024
Georgia, USA
I have had experiences similar to all those mentioned here; I have both expensive and cheap pipes that smoke great and some that are rather disappointing. I smoke more corn cobs than anything because I like the easy and open draw and they are also my cheapest pipes. I have also found through trial and experience that there are certain pipes I have that smoke certain blends better, such as my Dr. Grabow Savoy smokes Captain Black White better than any pipe in my collection so that's what I use it for. In short, if you see a pipe you like go for it because the only true way of knowing if it's a good one or bad is by smoking it.
Thanks 💨🥃